The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Harness to control difficult dogs

snapdogs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:wacko: my 3 whippets pulled me over barking at a KCS and in a posh road.... did I feel stupid or what!

they also dance around on their hind legs barking and going mad at cats....

people must think they are terrible dogs because they seem so vicious.. any tips on stopping this behaviour?

Sorry no advice, my 3 are just as bad with cats. Its soooooo embarrasing, especially when the cat calmly carries on washing itself in the middle of the lane (w00t) :lol: :oops:

Invest in a water pistol. Worked wonders on my hooligan Iggies. They really were vile walking up the road to the field especially if they see a cat or other dogs. Accompained by a firm shut up or no it has worked wonders

Jan Doherty said:
Invest in a water pistol. Worked wonders on my hooligan Iggies. They really were vile walking up the road to the field especially if they see a cat or other dogs.  Accompained by a firm shut up or no it has worked wonders
My son has one of those great big ones that you strap on your back (w00t) :lol: :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use the waterpistol in this instance. All you are doing is reinforcing the idea that when they meet another dog trouble is going to arise. Over time it could make matters worse. Besides which how are you going to handle three dogs and a toy gun.

Instead of telling them off after the situtation has occured, before the need arises, get them to focus on you rather than the ??? that is about to catch their eye. A bright happy voice, the word watch, and a little treat, will work wonders :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesa said:
I wouldn't use the waterpistol in this instance. All you are doing is reinforcing the idea that when they meet another dog trouble is going to arise. Over time it could make matters worse.  Besides which how are you going to handle three dogs and a toy gun.  Instead of telling them off after the situtation has occured, before the need arises, get them to focus on you rather than the ??? that is about to catch their eye.  A bright happy voice, the word watch,  and a little treat,  will work wonders :luck:

I agree, clicker training with ultra-high-value treats would be a good approach here.

It might be easier to try to do it one at a time because they will encourage each other to play up, if one of mine starts it sets the others off :thumbsup:

Hi,

I would take them one at a time too, i have done this and am still in the process of it and it is working, take some treats for when they get past the situation without misbehaving. then when taken as a group, have someone for each dog if possible so you dont have so many to control.

Halti muzzle helped to with one of mine, she doesn't need it now, but we had to use it at the beginning.

Good luck, it does get better, i enjoy walking mine again :)

Tesa said:
I wouldn't use the waterpistol in this instance. All you are doing is reinforcing the idea that when they meet another dog trouble is going to arise. Over time it could make matters worse.  Besides which how are you going to handle three dogs and a toy gun.  Instead of telling them off after the situtation has occured, before the need arises, get them to focus on you rather than the ??? that is about to catch their eye.  A bright happy voice, the word watch,  and a little treat,  will work wonders :luck:
PMSL

Besides which how are you going to handle three dogs and a toy gun.

Quite easily actually, I was handling four dogs at the time. It only took two trips up the road and the problem has been cured. We even passed two cats today without the usual screaming banshee act. It depends on the dogs.

i have a lurcher cross benji.He is a rescue dog and ive had him for nearly 8 years.In the house he's the most obidient dog you could ask for but outsidehe's terrible. we've tried everything but he is still aggressive with any male he comes across. He's pulled me to the floor once (teach me to wear trainers instead of boots). There seems to be nothing we can do to solve his problem.

my advice? grow your hair long to hide your face, and act like nothing is happening! :- "

that's what I do when my lot see a cat/squirrel/bird/leaf in the street and start screaming their heads off like they are being kicked around by their evil owner and everyone starts looking out their windows :lol:

then if anyone approaches me and asks why my normally angelic dogs are behaving like that, I tell them it's because they are 'real' dogs who are still capable of doing what dogs are supposed to do - catch their own food!

wonder if the KCS can do that? :wacko:

Mine are the same, they go mad if they see a cat, stand on hind legs screaming like idiots!! :rant: , I have NO control over them, they also pull and bark at other dogs. It is like a red mist desends on them. :rant: :rant: :rant:

dunno if any of you watch that dog borstal but the bit where they use a little pop bottle with small stones in it .it distracts the dog from whatever it doing .my dog has nearly pushed me down stairs on couple of occasions ,now a good shake of the bottle stops him in his tracks.....worth a try people :))

My 2 started screaming in town a couple of weeks ago ... on a walk very early one morning, I had just stopped to re-tie my shoe lace, and they spotted 3 squirrels foraging about in the rubbish they were pulling out of the rubbish bins.

My whippies started jumping up and down on the spot and screamed really loudly! I had to quickly detour up a side street, people must have thought I was trying to murder them!

:b :b

wilfred said:
and they spotted 3 squirrels foraging about in the rubbish they were pulling out of the rubbish bins.
My whippies started jumping up and down on the spot and screamed really loudly! 
I can't say I blame them, squirrels, rabbits, it's proabaly the same difference to them. :D

It was a case of "Look Mum, small grey furry things! GET THEM!!!"

Squeal, scream, screech etc etc. :- "

And they never forget what they've seen, and where, do they? Every time we go past the bin on that particular corner, they still look for tree-bunnies ;)

Inca's the same...as long as its small furry and moves...she wants to chase it (w00t)

And she'll stand on her back legs and hop to try and get to cats...its really funny to watch :teehee:

I think it's a bit of both that will work - ie the water pistol to stop the behaviour that you dont want, and then the praise / clicker training to re-inforce the behavior that you do want, once you have distracted them.

If they are hell bent on chasing something or roo rooing at another dog/cat/leaf I dont think you will distract them and get them to focus on the clicker / food / praise without something like the air collar thingy or the water pistol. But as Jan said it will depend on the dog.

I've got a water spray in the car and at the front door as they were just ridiclous when I was trying to take them for a walk - I just need to show it to them now and they settle down o:)

speak to my mate lynn alexandria she is a great dog trainer who i bet can help!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back