The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

has anyone heard of the forley cup

stark

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
has anyone heard of the forley cup ?

i was looking in the dogs for sale adds in the countrymans weekly and there was an advertisement for a sire that had wone the forley cup , but it didnt give the breed of the dog ...just wondered if anyone knows what sort of event it is and for what breed ??

I believe that it is Lurchers coursing. This type of coursing is completely unrelated to Coursing with greyhounds under rules as the aim is to kill the hare in the Forley Cup. In coursing under rules there are no points awarded if a hare is unfortunately killed.

Cerito

Hi John

As serito said the aim in the Forley cup is to catch & kill the hares not just course them.

you can get videos of the Forley Cup, they normally have some for sale at the waterloo cup.

I was at a marlet the other night that had them for £12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

Have not been, but have seen the video's, the dogs tend (or appear) to be Saluki types and I imagine, having seen the ad in CW that these are that way bred. They do run singly and as far as I can see, as the earlier replies indicated, the course seems only to an end with the demise of the hare. Am not familiar with the rules so that may be inaccurate.

This particular type of coursing's not my thing, as too many hare's seem to get killed. To me it looks more like a war of attrition, than sport, but I suppose it's 'whatever floats your boat'. You should be able to buy the videos at Altcar next week and there are usually a few Forley cup type dogs present for you to see if you're going.

No disrespect intended to anybody reading who does enjoy that type of coursing, it's just not for me.

thanks for your replies

my own problem is i would like to race my lurcher in any kind of race but so far i cant fine any races to enter her into !

if anyone has any info or contact numbers for me i would be greatfull

thanks .

im thinking of going to watch the waterloo cup this year and wondered if anyone can tell me there opinions on the best day to go , considering i have never been to one befor ?

Apologies, Stark (and Mark), Thought it was Mark Roberts who posted query, but on reflection should have known better. I always was a silly bar steward and am afraid it's getting worse with age. Hope you found response useful nevertheless.

Stark, If only going to the Waterloo Cup for one day, I always find the first day best as it has the most courses, dogs are fresh and the sport good. Apart for seeing the final on the third day, that is the worst day to go, blink and it's all over. One other piece of (unsolicited) advice, dress up warm, it's the coldest, windiest place in britain, well it is for wuss's like me anyway.

This is my final word for the week, honest!

hi stark you should join the lurcher & racing club , they have fixtures all year mainly at shows , there always advertised in the countrymans

walesy said:
Hi Mark,
Have not been, but have seen the video's, the dogs tend (or appear) to be Saluki types and I imagine, having seen the ad in CW that these are that way bred. They do run singly and as far as I can see, as the earlier replies indicated, the course seems only to an end with the demise of the hare. Am not familiar with the rules so that may be inaccurate.

This particular type of coursing's not my thing, as too many hare's seem to get killed. To me it looks more like a war of attrition, than sport, but I suppose it's 'whatever floats your boat'. You should be able to buy the videos at Altcar next week and there are usually a few Forley cup type dogs present for you to see if you're going.

No disrespect intended to anybody reading who does enjoy that type of coursing, it's just not for me.
There doesn't seem to be any sport in this that I can see! Seems like shootin fish in a barrell, but whatever turns you on! :b

Regards,

Scott.

Scott, The Forley cup is far from shooting fish in a barrel the dogs need to be 110% fit or they aint winning nothing and most of the people who run them realy know how to get a dog ready.

Stark, I'd say if you wanted to see a lot of runs at the Waterloo do day 1 if you want to see good quality coursing as apposed to the number of runs go day 2, i'm going all 3 so if you (or anybody else) fancies meeting up give me a shout and we'll have a brew.

and theres a bloke comming to the lure coursing (today 22nd Feb) who runs the Stavley Lurecher racing club so you'll be able to get some details from him.

Hi Walsey, yep they tend to be Saluki/Greyhounds speed/beauty & stamina all in one neat package.

theres a good write up in the c/w about the differences between lurcher & greyhound coursing, its good & untill i read that i didnt really know the difference , i thought all coursing was the same as ours. see all up there on the 2nd day i cant wait! :thumbsup:

I know I promised to shut up, but just to say am enjoying the comments and genuinely respect the differing views on this topic. Re Coursing - The Debate by Andrew Pilkington in last week's CW. Thought it was a good, informative piece but there was a particular point made, that I could not possibly agree with and have therefore sent a response, which will hopefully be printed. If my letter is deemed worthy, it will no doubt stimulate further debate.

Hello Mark (Roberts) Sadly, for the first time in ages will miss day 1 of the Waterloo Cup, but will endeavour to make day 2, if so will try and find you and you can tell me all about the enigma (at least to me) that is 'lure coursing'.

Reference: Pilkington A (2004, 20th February) Coursing - The Debate, The Countryman's Weekly.

Kind regards.

Hi Walsey

Would love to meet up with you, you can find me by looking for a good looking bloke wearing a hat with Parkstone Whippets.

see you there.

Mark Roberts said:
Hi Walsey            Would love to meet up with you, you can find me by looking for a good looking bloke wearing a hat with Parkstone Whippets.

see you there.
He'll be stood with a dashingly handsome chap, oh and Barry! :clown:

Just shout fat northern loudmouth and Mark will turn round! :D

That sound about right Frodsham or he could look for the 2 balding men eh :cheers:

Yeh Barry but next time shoot the bloody Wood Pigeon not the Clay pigeon. :- "

? they where ok when I tried them? :oops: what name was on the side NOAH! :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back