The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Has anyone used NutriPaw ALL-ITCH & immunity treats

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Keep us updated - sorry to hear she's still having problems.

A quick update on Biddy and her scurf, dandruff type stuff on head. I had a reply from Honeys where they advised using coconut oil to relieve dry itchy areas which I started to do and it did seem to be moisturizing her head and lifting the scurf
I continued with this until she started scratching at her ? left shoulder or ear. I looked but could see nothing until 8 days ago we were out walking and she started scratching so badly she rolled on to her back. I picked her up and held her down to see and was horrified to find dark scabby area behind left ear (same as on her head)which was inflamed and bleeding from her scratching
I immediately phoned the vet but could not get in to see the one who I trusted the most until today
In the meantime I cleaned with levicillin and applied coconut oil (which she hated and fought against) and miraculously it cleared it up
Today she has had both ears cleaned, some long acting gel applied to left one and started on a months course of Apoquell and to start using the antibacterial shampoo weekly
The vet today was brilliant and gave me various options one of which was just the ear cleaning and gel and hopefully her skin would slowly improve but I wanted to make sure that everything was sorted this time so opted for the Apoquell as well. If this does not work she has suggested monthly Cytopoint injections.
Has anyone had good results after a month of Apoquell? I really do not want her to be on long term medication

A quick update on Biddy and her scurf, dandruff type stuff on head. I had a reply from Honeys where they advised using coconut oil to relieve dry itchy areas which I started to do and it did seem to be moisturizing her head and lifting the scurf
I continued with this until she started scratching at her ? left shoulder or ear. I looked but could see nothing until 8 days ago we were out walking and she started scratching so badly she rolled on to her back. I picked her up and held her down to see and was horrified to find dark scabby area behind left ear (same as on her head)which was inflamed and bleeding from her scratching
I immediately phoned the vet but could not get in to see the one who I trusted the most until today
In the meantime I cleaned with levicillin and applied coconut oil (which she hated and fought against) and miraculously it cleared it up
Today she has had both ears cleaned, some long acting gel applied to left one and started on a months course of Apoquell and to start using the antibacterial shampoo weekly
The vet today was brilliant and gave me various options one of which was just the ear cleaning and gel and hopefully her skin would slowly improve but I wanted to make sure that everything was sorted this time so opted for the Apoquell as well. If this does not work she has suggested monthly Cytopoint injections.
Has anyone had good results after a month of Apoquell? I really do not want her to be on long term medication
Oh that's good to hear you were able to see a vet you trust, and it sounds as if treatment might be headed in the right direction.

I haven't used Apoquel, but my little collie occasionally has cytopoint for skin allergies, (thought to be environmental but she also has food allergies).

The cytopoint is something I was reluctant to use, but we have had a lot of success with it. It is a protein, not a steroid, which is a big help for my collie because her liver and kidneys are severely compromised. We've had good results with cytopoint with minimum doses - this year she only had one dose around May, and hasn't needed it since. Last year, she did have one follow-up injection, but still only 2 doses over the 12 months.

I know some vets say Cytopoint needs to be given monthly, but that hasn't been my experience. My vet and I are agreed on minimum intervention and medication for my little collie, and an injection of cytopoint has been the safest way of stopping her allergic reaction in its tracks, and is far preferable to steroids.

Every dog is different of course, and I don't have any other experience of using cytopoint, but I personally would be happy to use it if other methods such as topical applications and anti histamines had failed.

Good luck with her! I hope you find a solution one way or another.

Thanks feverfew that is good to hear, I know what you mean about vets being overcautious with timing of treatments and intervention (they wanted Biddy to attend every 8 weeks to have her anal glands expressed, it was Honeys that advised me against, and now I've found that the raw diet has helped with that) so if I have to go with the Cytopoint at least I know to use only when and if she needs.
Fingers crossed this is the turning point and she will have perfect skin and fur soon.

Thanks for sharing your update, glad to hear things might seem to be perhaps getting better for Biddy.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back