The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Have a cheetah ever exhibited at coursing meet?

Sidewinder

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I just want to know in Britain or anywhere else have they recently had a cheetah at a coursing meet? I know that one time ,I believe, in England they raced the cheetahs against whippets. The cheetahs quickly passed the whippets and caught the rabbit. The 2nd try they gave the whippets a head start but the cheetahs quit because the race was too long for them. Then the greyhound and cheetah was put against each other. This was on a track however and the cheetahs kept cuting across the tracks. There is an even hardly known rsce when a cheetah was raced against greyhounds successfully. A female domestic cheetah was criticized because it was said that it never ran faster than 45 miles per hour. They also said it made poor turn around the curves. Now in Englandthey raced a greyhound against pidgeon which is said to be able to fly at 90 miles an hour and the greyhound won the 1st race!. In England will they ever try the reputable cheetah against the sighthound whippet Saluki and Greyhound again?

i've seen the Greyhound/pigeon race a few times they race them at game fairs & at greyhound tracks now and again as a novelty thing.

Cheeta? I can't see that ever happening in the UK as they would never get insurance for such a race or the go ahead from the Health & Safety people.

I watched an article on Sky Tv a few weeks back where they were racing Cheetas against Greyhounds in Kenya and they showed the Cheetas training with a drag lure but they looked less than interested?.

hope that helps

Mark

they decided to call it a day when the whippets kept eating the cheetas! :D

Strike Whippets, your claim sounds more like a simple assumption of what one may expect from such a race. The ideal race couldn't take place in the U.K. anyway. The people there have a history of such attempts which is why I asked. The U.S. would have to be the meeting grounds for such a race. The hare in Europe and even worst in Africa are considerably slower and smaller than the jackrabbit , the largest and fastest of all hares, which is of North America. Not to mention the U.S. has the pronghorn which can run at 61 miles an hour for a mile. This would test them to their limit. The cheetah average is 35-45 miles an hour though it briefly can reach 65 or 70 m.p.h for about 15 seconds. Just as the greyhound in U.S. track racing reaches 55 m.p.h. with a similiar average of 40 to 45 m.p.h. and the whippet is stable at about 37 1/2 miles an hour. I have read of cheetahs coursing (not competing though) in europe and the performance is similiar to canines. The cheetah would perform in coursing with a live prey but track racing would be difficult and less interesting anyway. I would like to see the whippet, cheetah and certainly the Ibizan hound in a coursing meet together in the Arizona desert. Sadly in the U.S. the coursing hasn't gotten to far. I think it would be interesting. The whippets performance against the cheetah appeared to show the two as a michmaches as well as the prey. But this was at time when they wanted to find out which of the three was the fastest. The greyhound has only 1 successful race against the cheetah that I could recall. It's worth another try!

Tell us about the Jack rabbit, then, Sidey........How big are they????..what do they weigh....do they go to ground? do they breed above or below ground? do they have a litter of young like bunnies or do they have one or two like hares?

Is it true that they course three dogs together in the good ol' U.S. of A.?????

I have heard that the coursing dogs in America can exhibit a disapointing lack of fittness.

What's all this "off the truck" buisness....do they launch the dogs from a moving truck??

Is it true that they course all kinds of dogs against each other? or are there any rules about the dogs' type/size?

theres lots of good "oll going on! :p surley a cheeta would eat a greyhound?

You're all mad. The nearest thing to a cheetah for speed is of course Magic Trick. Enough of this rubbish, lets concentrate on the whippets and the giant hares that make them what they are! The Trick and the Madam are on the lure at present. The one I use makes about 40mph but am looking for a turbo version as they keep outrunning it. Match that you lot!!

Up for it

Lampingman

barneyhare1jpg.jpg

Think you'd call that "outmatched", Lampy, me old mate 8)

looking forward to next season.... :cheers:

Hey Greeny its nice of you to help out a proper rabbit catcher. Presumably he is the one holding the camera, the one we never see!! Always want the limelight don't you Greeny. Cheshire bunnies indeed. Maybe OK for you and the candy floss king but its kids stuff really. you should spend more time in the big fields to broaden your outlook and really test those lovely dogs of yours. Come south dear boy... if you dare that is??

Crossing all boundaries

Lamping man :lol:

I dare, Lampy (as you WELL know 8) ).......see you next season......if your impressed with the bunny on the right, you should see the hares up here..

BASKING in the limelight....but, in the shadow of his dogs.....GREENY

Yep. Fair dos Greeny. I didn't quite spot the very small hare on my previous look. Should you really have bothered??

needing to be impressed

Lamping man :p

lamping man said:
Hey Greeny its nice of you to help out a proper rabbit catcher. Presumably he is the one holding the camera, the one we never see!! Always want the limelight don't you Greeny. Cheshire bunnies indeed. Maybe OK for you and the candy floss king but its kids stuff really. you should spend more time in the big fields to broaden your outlook and really test those lovely dogs of yours. Come south dear boy... if you dare that is??

Crossing all boundaries

Lamping man    :lol:
Ah God bless! Lampy's back from the nut house! Gonna be some good dogs trecking down to Norfolk next season. 8)

If you allow us that is, I hope you're not scared of decent competition! :b

Regards,

Scott.

John E Greenwood said:
What's all this "off the truck" buisness....do they launch the dogs from a moving truck??
well the truck generally stops, greengrass...LOL :lol:

I've seen a vid of coyote coursing with stag hounds in the U.S. They stopped the truck, pulled a lever, the side of the the dog box on the back fell, and off they went, massive great hairy beasts with necks like mike tyson, three at a time, they then followed on foot with the camera, a good while later, they found the hounds and what was left of the coyote....crude but effective!

as for cheetahs...who knows. Saw dave sleight racing a greyhound against a pigeon.....it was almost as dull as his 'marking' demo with the spring powered stuffed toy whizzing out the hole.....absurd.

Owd'un

First of all, Strike Whippet statements are vague, unlike the facts I stated pretty much. What I am talking about took place in England and YOU ought to know if you know the history of the whippet. We in America know about coursing here and there. Why is it that you don't(not Sidewinder)? Coursing off the back of the truck mostly isn't coursing at all and they are not a particular breed but are LURCHERS of the true type. The lurcher was invented hunting coyote because the collie gave intelligence and the others strength to deal with a viscious prey(you should know). It isn't a sport but more a type of hunting that farmers do my misinformed mate. Coursing in the U.S. however, can be breed competition or all breed in which a Saluki, Irish Wolfhound and etc. would have to fair it out in the fields chasing jackrabbit( the fastest of all hares). Size doesn't matter to a true sighthound because the Irish wolfhound,the largest of all dogs and sighthounds, is slower than the german shepherd that isn't even a sighthound. You simply don't have confidence in your dogs. As far as the whippet it was clearly outmatched in it's competition against the cheetah. Unless your whippet can catch a jack singly or pronghorn it hasn't accomplished an amazing feat. A whippet is fast for a dog its size but 37 miles an hour isn't too adequate. The whippet can accelerate to 35 m.p.h. faster than any other dog but the Greyhound, sloughi and a few others are generally faster. A true whippet is competent against another dog of different size regardless of size. As far as the cheetah it would win in my opinion because of its far superior coordination to the whippet and greyhound. I will put sites showing what I mean no matter what the dog training is. European hare are simply no test for any fleet-a-foot animal.

Lurchers were invented to hunt coyote were they ?

The jackrabbit is the fastest of all hares is it?

Sloughi's and a few others are faster than whippets are they?

The European hare is no match for a fleet footed animal is it not?

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I can feel a battle of the "big guns" coming on...Those "who know" are forming battle lines.....

Lamping man INSISTS that the biggest, strongest hares are in East Anglia....the upstart colonial, Sidewinder, obviously knows better....HE has the biggest, strongest hares.

I seem to be the only one furnishing evidence of my 37mph, easily outrun whippets actually CATCHING game...It is, of course obvious to any EXPERT that the dogs CAN'T POSSIBLY be any good.... The ONLY reasonable expaination for this unprecidented phenomenon is that the game MUST be VERY inferior in this part of the world.....I'm so glad that I have access to the world wide web and the galaxy of experts who populate its' fermament.

Learning all the time.....a grateful GREENY.

Greeny take your tongue out of your cheek or your face will stick like that! :b

im glad your all comparing hare sizes(i did say hare) in the midlands you lucky to see one!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back