The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Have two poorly girls

Mayblossom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Both my girls have come down with sickness and diarrhoea :( started late Sunday night with Lily ( the terrier ) came down in the morning to piles over the floor , she then seemed ok , eating and drinking normally and was then fine, yesterday Molly ( our Springer ) started being sick and horrible runny poos which had blood streaks in them , rang the vet and booked in for this evening. Been trying to think if they’ve eaten anything different, did go to my daughters for lunch on Saturday and she told me she’d given them some pork ( unbeknown to me ) if this wasn’t cooked properly could it have caused this? Went for a walk along the front at Eastbourne with them but they didn't go anywhere that we couldn’t see them so no chance of eating anything rotten etc. Seems strange that it happened so quickly ! Had a google and there does seem to be an epidemic of gastroenteritis across the country. Anyone else had it with their dogs? Hope the vet can give something to sort Molly out, she’s fine in herself , drinking plenty and excited about her walks so not lethargic at all :rolleyes:

Oh dear, I hope they're better soon. Like us, sometimes these bugs just appear out of nowhere and you can't work out any particular reason. One time when Jasper had a nasty tummy bug the vet said it was doing the rounds.

Dogs are quite often sensitive to pork, but if they've both been ill, or the pork was really manky (which I'm sure your daughter would have noticed) that would suggest that it's not to blame. Not that I'm a vet, of course;)

Thanks Judy, they worry me so much! Molly always get things far worse than Lily, always seem to be at the vets with her for one thing or another. They’re both coming up to 10 years old in a few months so suppose we should expect them to have a few health problems.

I know we are at the other end of the country but my friend's Brittany had a nasty tummy bug recently and she found a lot of dog owners in the area were finding the same thing - these bugs seem to crop up from time to time and spread fast. Did any of the people in the house eat the pork and feel off colour?

I know we are at the other end of the country but my friend's Brittany had a nasty tummy bug recently and she found a lot of dog owners in the area were finding the same thing - these bugs seem to crop up from time to time and spread fast. Did any of the people in the house eat the pork and feel off colour?
My daughter and her partner had pork and were ok Jo , me and hubby had beef ....but hubby had tummy troubles the same day as Lily! So a real poo house ! :D Now I’ve been fine and it’s usually me that suffers ! I suppose, like us, that it can affect them quickly, just seemed a coincidence with a different area, different food etc.

Poor souls :( the tummy bug is up here as well a lot of dog's have came down with it and it's really contagious.
Hope everything goes well at the vet's and wishing a speedy recovery x

Thank you WL , reassuring to know that there is a bug about so hopefully can assume it’s probably nothing they’ve eaten that’s made them poorly . Both girls have been fine this morning and no sickness thank goodness .

|Whatever it is, get well soon all!;)

Hemarrhagic ( I think that’s right ) gastroenteritis is the diagnosis, had two injections, one for inflamed tummy and bowel ( causing the bleeding) and another to stop her being sick. Have to keep her on bland food ; chicken, rice, scrambled egg little and often....she won't mind the ‘often’ but not so sure about the ‘little’ :D:D has tablets to take as well for 10 days. She hasn’t been sick since the early hours this morning and the pooing has slowed down ( still yeuky though :() hopefully she’ll improve over the next few days, she was very good at the vets :rolleyes:

Much better today thanks WL, slept downstairs ( I managed a couple of hours sleep as she kept nuzzling me every time I moved :rolleyes:) just in case she needed to go out but she didn’t and hasn’t been sick anymore, no poos yet though but then again she hasn’t eaten her normal quota of food , we’ll see how she goes on this afternoons walkies in gale force winds! Enough to make anyone go :D:D
I’m now worrying about Lily ( my profile pic) seems a bit odd on her walks, keeps her head very low to the ground and has become bothered about going down the steps from our gate , hoping it’s not her eyesight, bless her . I’ll see how she goes and if no improvement could be another trip to the vets . Don’t like it when our pets get older :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back