The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Have you ever lost your dog?

Yes once and never since!

He ran off to swim in the river without us noticing and when we turned round he wasn’t there. So we waited for him to get out and catch us up..... kept waiting....and waiting.... then we heard someone shout us to say ‘is that your black lab running the opposite way!’

We could see him running up this cliff path which is often part of our walk so we shouted his name and waved our hands around mad until he finally noticed us!

He was so relived when he reached us, he was crying and going all silly :(

He doesn't let me out of his sight now! He's very hard to play hide and seek with....

When he was younger, Jasper took off after deer a few times and disappeared out of sight. Thankfully, his stamina isn't great and he's a bit of a velcro dog so he'll come staggering back to me eventually. The longest he's been AWOL was half an hour, though it felt a lot longer. These days he'll disappear after sensing a deer in the woods occasionally but he's always back within 5 minutes. )He's always muzzled, so I don't worry too much about him bringing one down.)

The scariest time was when he'd disappeared and a few minutes later I heard him barking and crying in distress. I knew he'd come back to me if he was physically capable, so I was imagining him with at least two broken legs :eek: I ran towards the sound and found him on the other side of a fence, panicking because he couldn't get back to me. It was only about four foot high and physically he'd be easily capable of jumping it but he's never realised he can jump fences and I prefer to keep it that way!

Yes once and never since!

He ran off to swim in the river without us noticing and when we turned round he wasn’t there. So we waited for him to get out and catch us up..... kept waiting....and waiting.... then we heard someone shout us to say ‘is that your black lab running the opposite way!’

We could see him running up this cliff path which is often part of our walk so we shouted his name and waved our hands around mad until he finally noticed us!

He was so relived when he reached us, he was crying and going all silly :(

He doesn't let me out of his sight now! He's very hard to play hide and seek with....

Oh my goodness, thank goodness you were alerted to him running the opposite way! Bless him, it must have been such a relief (for you both) to realise he was safe with you again.

Thanks for sharing x

When he was younger, Jasper took off after deer a few times and disappeared out of sight. Thankfully, his stamina isn't great and he's a bit of a velcro dog so he'll come staggering back to me eventually. The longest he's been AWOL was half an hour, though it felt a lot longer. These days he'll disappear after sensing a deer in the woods occasionally but he's always back within 5 minutes. )He's always muzzled, so I don't worry too much about him bringing one down.)

The scariest time was when he'd disappeared and a few minutes later I heard him barking and crying in distress. I knew he'd come back to me if he was physically capable, so I was imagining him with at least two broken legs :eek: I ran towards the sound and found him on the other side of a fence, panicking because he couldn't get back to me. It was only about four foot high and physically he'd be easily capable of jumping it but he's never realised he can jump fences and I prefer to keep it that way!

Very scary for you knowing something was wrong and fearing something awful. He must have been ecstatic to see you coming. Huge relief for both of you.

Thanks for sharing x

This one - not yet! Well only for a few moments.

The previous Welshie - yes. He was gone overnight. He vanished behind a tree on a summer evening walk and disappeared completely. A couple of hours calling and searching were spent fruitlessly and I was worried sick.

Next morning there was a call from a lady a couple of miles away asking if we'd lost a Welsh Terrier. He was in her garden with her own Welsh Terrier! Given that they are not a common breed and not often found in urban areas I wouldn't like to calculate the odds on that.

Ours has got off the lead a couple of times, once he got out of his harness (which I still need to replace BTW :rolleyes:), another he slipped out of his collar, and the other time he tripped me up and as I fell, I let go of the lead and he went off chasing a cat at around 05.00. I was shook up each time, but managed to get him back safe and sound. All episodes were brief, thankfully.

no never but if I did it would be a traumatic experiance

Only once but at the time we didn't know she was missing. A friend that lives close rang and told us she had our Shelti, we could only assume my son had not closed the back gate properly, she wandered out then the gate swung closed. When she realised she couldn't get back in and nobody was opening the gate she must have toddled off to see her Auntie.

Of course, we have scent hounds :D They come back eventually. The scariest was the harrier disappeared chasing deer in a huge forest in rural Spain which we had driven to from the holiday cottage. She came back the next day to the spot my OH had last seen her, we spent 2 days backing to and fro to the forest waiting for her to come back.

I lost our previous spaniel when he chased a hare I think- then got confused and tried to follow a walk we sometimes did to the next village. Luckily someone recognised him, nabbed him and locked him in their stable. They sent their daughter to find me- I'll always remember seeing her in the distance. She shouted 'It's all right! He's safe!' So wonderful- after one of the longest, worst hours of my life.

Twice, second time he ended up having an altercation with a fox. We'd only had him 3 days the second time he got out. Both were accidents.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back