The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

hello everyone

yllas

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Where to start... dog history is, we always had dogs when I was a child, then when I had my young family we had 2 whippet crosses, my last lovely girl died 2 years ago and I'm now ready to start again. Favourite breed whippets.

Reactions: RGC
Hello and welcome.

Welcome to the forum. Where will you be looking for your new dog? Will it definitely be a whippet, or will you just wait for your heart to tell you you've found 'the one', regardless of breed?

Welcome to the forum. Where will you be looking for your new dog? Will it definitely be a whippet, or will you just wait for your heart to tell you you've found 'the one', regardless of breed?
Hi Judy, thank you.
I'll be keeping it local, and am very keen for it to be a whippet, but could probably be swayed if one just happens along that feels right!

There are many reputable whippet rescue organisations out there. I know that there is a glut of young whippets looking for a home - taken on as puppies during the lockdown by people with no foresight who found the going tough. Good luck. Where are you situated?

There are many reputable whippet rescue organisations out there. I know that there is a glut of young whippets looking for a home - taken on as puppies during the lockdown by people with no foresight who found the going tough. Good luck. Where are you situated?
I'm on the Norfolk/Suffolk borders. I've just been in contact with a local breeder who has an 8 month old she kept back but is now letting go. I'm going to see her at the weekend, but I'm a little uncertain if I have the skills for a timid pup who's been running around with siblings and living in kennels to 8 months, could be more of a known quantity to wait a bit and really plan for the tough time with a younger pup?

As well as the skills, I'd consider where you live - I'm often looking at profiles of lurchers and greyhounds that need a home even though the time isn't right for me, but living in a fairly busy area with lots of dogs being walked locally would rule out a lot of dogs. You can learn the skills, but changing the local environment is a lot harder!

As well as the skills, I'd consider where you live - I'm often looking at profiles of lurchers and greyhounds that need a home even though the time isn't right for me, but living in a fairly busy area with lots of dogs being walked locally would rule out a lot of dogs. You can learn the skills, but changing the local environment is a lot harder!
That really makes sense, yes. However hard it is to walk away, I need my brain fully engaged because it is pretty busy walking round here unless you go very very early.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back