The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hello fellow dog owners

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LaineyLou92, May 2, 2018.

1. LaineyLou92

LaineyLou92 New Member Registered

Hi everyone!

Decided to join the forum to get some advice, support and conversations from other more experienced dog owners. My fiancé and I got Cooper last summer after a lot of research, planning and discussion. Neither of us have had dogs before so everything is very new to us.

Cooper is almost a year old (he'll be 1 next week) and is a golden show type cocker spaniel. He has completely changed our lives but we wouldn't have it any other way. I have always wanted to be a dog owner but I never imagined that I would love an animal this much. I couldn't imagine not having him in our lives now.

Dog training is going really well for us being first time dog owners. I'm quite proud of myself that I managed to teach Cooper to roll-over! However, we are having some problems in certain areas of our dog training. We've tried training classes and although they were beneficial while he was a puppy to help us with the basics, the trainers haven't been very helpful to us with the problems we are having. So, I thought I'd join this to speak to other dog owners/ trainers who can give me some advice and support to overcome the problems that my fiancé and I are experiencing with Cooper. We just want to learn and give Cooper the best life possible. Looking forward to getting started.

Lainey :)
    coops.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
    Whippylove, Flobo, Mad Murphy and 5 others like this.
  2. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome! Cooper is a cutie :) Is there any thing i could help with in regards to training Cooper?

LaineyLou92 likes this.
  3. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Welcome @LaineyLou92 - Cooper is very handsome! Lots of great dog owners with some great advice on here so ask away :)

LaineyLou92 and Violet Turner like this.
  4. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome:)

LaineyLou92 likes this.
  5. LaineyLou92

LaineyLou92 New Member Registered

Thank you. Yeah, just needing a hand with how we go about getting Cooper off lead and running about. I put a more detailed post in the training forum section. Basically, his recall is ok but not excellent, we really want to be able to let him off but we are just a bit unsure about how to do this. So obviously we need to work on recall first but just wanting a bit of guidance about going from practicing in garden to bigger spaces like the park. I have visions of letting him off and then him disappearing into the distance. I just want the confidence that he's gonna come back to us. On-lead walking is a bit of a struggle because he's a puller, which I've heard is common with spaniels. So being able to let him off would make all of us a bit happier.

Violet Turner likes this.
  6. merlina

merlina Active Member Registered

Oo, welcome Cooper! A pin-up cocker if ever I saw one.

Violet Turner and LaineyLou92 like this.
  7. arealhuman

arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome to the forum. I have a rescue dog with no recall and can get scared of other dogs, so he's always waked on the lead or a long lead. We do on occasion get to a private field so he can run about a bit. Good luck with it all! :)

LaineyLou92 likes this.
  8. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Well-Known Member Registered

Posted on the other thread :)

9. Whippylove

Whippylove Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome

10. Teddy560

Teddy560 Member Registered

Cooper is beautiful. He looks so much like my Puppy too.