The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello, it’s the fat, aggressive dog lady...

Janet Davies

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone, I’m the fat aggressive dog lady! It’s the dog that’s fat and aggressive btw!
My dog Lulutte is a French rescue and beautiful with people but hates other dogs and this is so difficult for me to handle.
I’ve tried training and every type of lead or collar you can think of but she has pulled me over twice now when going at a dog because she weighs 39kgs.
Any advice would be really welcome.

Hi and welcome:) What kind of dog is Lulutte at 39kgs? and any pics?
With an Italian rescue I walk, he's 12 years old and a slim thing but nutball reactive to other dogs! I've been practicing the 'watch me', as well as avoiding other dogs every time where possible. I say his name and watch me, randomly throughout our walk so he doesn't associate the command with me trying to distract him.. He also has digestive issues so the only reward I can offer him is a slice of carrot which thankfully he loves. He does seem to be picking it up slowly but surely, even at his age and even though he only speaks Italian!:D..

Hi Janet , Welcome to the Forum , I have two reactive dogs so appreciate what you are going through.

Hi and welcome:) What kind of dog is Lulutte at 39kgs? and any pics?
With an Italian rescue I walk, he's 12 years old and a slim thing but nutball reactive to other dogs! I've been practicing the 'watch me', as well as avoiding other dogs every time where possible. I say his name and watch me, randomly throughout our walk so he doesn't associate the command with me trying to distract him.. He also has digestive issues so the only reward I can offer him is a slice of carrot which thankfully he loves. He does seem to be picking it up slowly but surely, even at his age and even though he only speaks Italian!:D..
Thank you for your help.
Lulutte is a cross lab and collie on her papers but there’s definitely staffie in her, I know this because I’ve had 3 staffies previously but in France staffies are on the dangerous dog list so they’re not encouraged to rehome them ☹️ We have another French rescue called Burtie, he was abandoning at the side of a road, he’s a Bassett cross, French Picardy Spaniel but he gets on well with other dogs. We worked and lived in Toulouse for 3 years which is how we ended up with our beautiful fur babies.
Lulutte is the black and white one (obviously) and the red is Burt. Excuse the downloads, I’m not very good at attaching pics!

Attachments

• 9EFA647C-5D6D-4046-924B-DE41C1CECBD3.jpeg
    9EFA647C-5D6D-4046-924B-DE41C1CECBD3.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 210
  • 43D0773F-8474-45C4-BCE3-AE9274BE8B1E.jpeg
    43D0773F-8474-45C4-BCE3-AE9274BE8B1E.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 182
My goodness yes - very staffie indeed!

If you keep yourself between her and any approaching dog, take her to the side at a distance where she no longer reacts because she now feels she doesn't need to, and keep on walking, she will learn to trust you to take decisions. Reward her when she is calm. Accept that she is never going to be a social butterfly and that it's okay. You are the centre of her world, and other dogs are just scenery.

My goodness yes - very staffie indeed!

If you keep yourself between her and any approaching dog, take her to the side at a distance where she no longer reacts because she now feels she doesn't need to, and keep on walking, she will learn to trust you to take decisions. Reward her when she is calm. Accept that she is never going to be a social butterfly and that it's okay. You are the centre of her world, and other dogs are just scenery.
Thankyou for the advice, much appreciated.
I tend to take her walking in country lanes so space is a bit limited but I’m trying the Watch me approach and I’m hoping this will help along with all of the good advice I’ve received on this Forum.
It’s helped me immensely joining as I felt at a loose end with how to cope with her but it’s good to have support.
Thankyou

You might have to avoid country lanes for the time being, so her reacting to other dogs doesn't become routine. My dog used to react to dogs on a very narrow path we used, and it took me too long to realise I had to avoid it. Even now, though his reactivity has almost completely disappeared, I can't quite trust him on this path - it's like he remembers 'Ah, yes, this is the place I shout at other dogs'. Mind you, I avoid it now at least in part as it's only about 1m wide so no good for social distancing!

Yes, totally agree with Hemlock there, very staffi!! The other thing I do is use whats around me to block the view, like bushes, long grass, cars etc, here we just wait if possible, have a chat and a treat to keep his or hers attention(I have a couple of reactive girls i walk also) and then walk on when the view is clear. All kept very relaxed and casual as if what you are doing is the most normal thing in the world...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back