The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello

Rubylove2005

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi my name is Bea, I am the lucky companion of a beautiful canine creature called Ruby.

She is 13, born on 20th June 2005 to Kizzy, who lived with my sister and niece.

Kizzy was a mongrel but predominantly Collie and Lurcher. Ginger and white long soft fluffy hair, the body shape of a slightly thin Collie.

Ruby's dad was a dark brindle Staffie called Blagger. I didn't know him, but understand he was a good chap.

I knew Kizzy, Ruby's mum, very well. You could not meet a nicer dog.

Ruby is similarly kind and gentle, but a lot more energetic (bonkers!) than her mum. Has had a much happier, better life than her mum to be honest.

Kizzy passed away four years ago. Ruby is still going strong, although has age-related hearing loss and today was diagnosed with kidney failure. Also today ran around with a six-month-old labrador in the park as if she was a puppy, for 45 minutes, before coming home for a long nap on the sofa.

She's been off her food for a couple of weeks, and in the last three months has gone down from 20kilos to 16.5kilos. She's drinking and urinating excessively, and has wet the bed overnight several times in the last fortnight. She's never had a day time accident in her adult life.

I'm here to learn everything I can so I can support her as best I can with this diagnosis, and for the rest of her life.

She's my best friend and the love of my life.

Welcome - assuming that's Ruby as a pup in your avatar, she is absolutely gorgeous.I'm so sorry to hear that her health is failing - did the vet suggest any treatment/management? Is there anything you can add to her food to make it more appetising?

A happy life and to be loved is all any dog wants, and I hope you have many more happy days with her to come.

Thank you JudyN.

Yes that's her, or it was her about 13 years ago!

The vet has recommended a special kidney friendly, low protein, wet food which I gave her for her dinner tonight and will be feeding her from now on. She's had really low appetite but this food seems to go down well - she ate more tonight than she has all month.

He also said she could go in for a hospital stay of 2-3 days to go on a drip with the aim of flushing out the toxins that have already built up in her. He said not all dogs respond to that treatment but most do. I said I'd think about it but am leaning towards saying yes. I'll sleep on it and then decide. She hates needles, and being apart from me, but it might really improve her quality of life so could be worth it.

Thanks for your kind words. The dog in your avatar is also gorgeous! They all are, really, aren't they :)

The dog in your avatar is also gorgeous! They all are, really, aren't they :)

Thank you - yes they are! I'm sure you'll make the right decision for her re the treatment - fingers crossed for you.

Hi, awwww poor Ruby, lets hope that with all the things the vet can do for her she starts to pick up, although from the sound of it the food will do a good job on her as well x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back