The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello

Rosie Loader

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thanks for the add.
I have a young Lurcher bitch, rehomed by us from a private owner, and I hope to use this forum to better understand her behaviour issues.

Hi Rosie - anything in particular? We have some experienced lurcher owners here!

Hi Rosie - anything in particular? We have some experienced lurcher owners here!

She is 11 mths old and fully house trained, but occasionally she will pee on the carpet (only at night though)
Last night she did a pee then 2 seconds later she when outside (dog flap & CCTV)
She has been spayed, and there are no signs of any infections so we are at loss. She is a lovely girl, but driving us nuts.

So she had been out, toileted outside, came in and did another on the carpet?

Do you go out with her? I would do that, with her on lead, so you can make sure she has several pees and properly empties her bladder. Then I'd be looking at patterns - was it colder, wetter outside last night?

Are you still rewarding outside toilets? I'd do that too and make sure the reward is immediate so she knows it's for toileting and not for anything else.

Could she be scent marking? Make sure you clean up with an enzymatic cleaner and leave the cleaner down for ten minutes before you wipe it up to give it time to work properly. Also block the area if it's one place she favours.

Could she be coming into season?

Sorry - more questions than answers but finding the solution relies on finding the cause.

Thanks for trying to help.

We make sure she does all she needs to do before going to bed (that was not clear in my post). Then she is "tucked up" on her bed and she spends the night in our kitchen (no access to the rest of the house - only outside)

For a few months she has either used the dog flap to go out or held herself until morning. There are no obvious patterns to suggest why she now pees indoors. Maybe sent marking is the problem

Was she house trained by being actually taken out or by being able to access the garden by herself either through an open door or the dog flap?

Hi.
We got her at 6mths, and so finished off the house training with encouraging the wee / poo in the garden (with treats) and made sure she went out at 22:30 before bed, then up at 06:00 for the morning routine. All was well until about 6 weeks ago (she is now 11 mths) - when she started to pee inside occasionally, so we invested in a dog flap thinking that would help.
She uses it all the time, day and night when she needs to go out.
So why - in the middle of the night - would she pee on the floor - then a little later on, use the flap to go outside ?
It's so frustrating. I just don't know what we are doing wrong.
Thanks

And the vet has definitely ruled out a UTI? It might be worth setting your alarm to physically take her out before her accident time for a few nights so you can get her out, reward, and reinforce that outside is the place to go. The problem with free access like an open door or dog flap is that dogs then don't fully understand the distinctive barrier between inside and outside. Although it sounds counterintuitive I would stop using the dog flap.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back