The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help and advice please

Honey monster

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just a little help please - I have re-homed a Yorkshire Terrier and the lady wasnt hundred percent honest we have now had him 2 months. He is 2 years old and in the first week we got his bits done.
Good points- When he walks on and off the lead he is an angel and can be recalled.
I have taught bed time with his crate with treat training

Bad points he nips and chews hands like a puppy when told no he continues to lick and doesn't stop.
steals shoes, socks and childrens toys and if we dont catch him in time he will chew them I have taught him to drop with a treat. Before he would get very aggressive and go for me like a wild dog and hide in the corner. So I dont tell tell him off just Bobby drop and then treat when drops.
When he was told off he got very aggressive(mainly towards me I think he has issues with men as he barks at strange men for a while until he is sure) so now I try calm approach but stern voice but will hide behind my wife legs. He then sulks and will go near me and will growl at me so I have to sit stroke him until he comes round.
Barks at any little noise, but I Dont mind when the door goes as he is a good little guard dog.
He gets walked morning and night (very long walks at the weekend). Can be left during the day no problem. But at night he had full run of kitchen but weed every night. I stayed up it was about 12.30 so it was because he needed the toilet as he walked about 9.30 to 10 every night, so I crated him for a couple of weeks dry let him out for one night and he done it 1st night so he is crated every night with water. He is dry and is fine will go to bed when told.So i am puzzled why he wee's?
He constantly looking for things to pick up and chew or eat in the garden or the house. I feed him in the morning with a 1/3rd of a tin of Chappie or Batchelors dog meat with some complete dry dog food. He eats the meat by midday and picks at the dry food rest of the day.
He has plenty of toys but wants to play tug of the war all the time so have stopped playing tug of war just fetch. But is toy shy and wont give toy back.
We play fetch on the walks and he wouldnt give the ball or toy back so had to throw another ball or toy. He is getting better and is starting to give back not interested in a treat when playing. My wife has never had a dog and is frustrated and feels like we have a 3rd child. My children love him and to be fair he is good with them apart from nipping and chewing of the hands.
He has improved from when we first got him and friends and family have commented on this. I have tried a click training but if he was naughty he didnt listen, Pet corrector does work for barking and now show him the spray he stops but you cant have this to hand all the time.
Ive had dogs most my life and dog training when I was at youngster at wood green was all about punishment and choke chains but punishment with Bobby I think will not help.

Any advice tips are welcome? Will he mature when hes 3 years old?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya...

I would try giving him a hide chew or something he can really get his teeth into to distract from the nipping of hands. If he is always looking for stuff to steal or pick up and chew on.this might give him an outlet for that energy...

I would also maybe try not giving him his food and allowing him to pick at it, but put some down in the morning, and take it up if he doen't eat it, and again in the evening. Some people think that by allowing your dog to pick at food all day, doesn't really let them know that you are in charge of it. An expectant dog at meal times is a lot easier to to train than one who has access all day to food. Some people even let a naughty dog work for all his food, by dividing up kibble or whatever into rations then allowing them to work for each little bit!

The weeing on the floor thing is curious, is it a big puddle or does it look like maybe he is marking his territory..?

Well done so far, it seems like you are doing a grand job, not giving in to his behaviour, or reacting to his growls, i'm sure you'll get there... some dogs never learn the fetch thing, and have to play swapsies instead before they will drop the damn ball...

good luck!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back