The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help - is my puppy neurotic?

Shanti Lall

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We've had our 9 week old 'sprolliedor' puppy just 6 days and I'm in love already but I'm beginning to worry she's neurotic. I've been alone in the house with her today. I've had to go upstairs to the loo a couple of times (leaving her behind the stair gate) and she's started whining and barking even though I've kept talking to her all the while. Then, when I've come back through the stair gate she's jumped at me, barking and biting at my bare feet in a way in quite an aggressive way. Is this normal? Suggestions?

I haven't had a pup for many years but she is only 9weeks old and only 6 days ago was taken from her mum and litter mates I would imagine her behaviour when she gets seperated from you too, albeit for a moment, is perfectly normal.
There are many on here with experience and good advice when it comes to pups, sure they can be a bit more helpful.;)
btw, is a 'sprolliedor' a border collie, springer, lab??

Completely normal. This nipping is an extension of the boisterous play she had with her littermates but she does now need to learn bite inhibition - that play with humans is different. There are several ways you can do this - some people find crying 'ouch' let's her know you don't like this sort of play but many find it ramps a puppy's excitement up even more. Others find putting a toy in her mouth helps but my preferred method is to teach her that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as she makes contact, just walk out of the room for a few minutes. As long as everyone is consistent with the above she will quickly learn that this game stops when she nips. If you have difficulty in getting her teeth off you, you can use a light house line (no handle, to avoid snagging) and use that to remove her so she doesn't form any negative association with being touched.

Regarding crying when you walk out, you don't want her to develop separation anxiety so practice walking out of the room for a few moments, several times a day, while she is occupied with something else like a stuffed Kong toy. This makes your departure less of an issue than if you did it whilst engaged with her. Try to go back in the room before she stresses - you want her reaction to be "oh, you're back, I hadn't realised you had gone". Build up time slowly.

Completely normal. This nipping is an extension of the boisterous play she had with her littermates but she does now need to learn bite inhibition - that play with humans is different. There are several ways you can do this - some people find crying 'ouch' let's her know you don't like this sort of play but many find it ramps a puppy's excitement up even more. Others find putting a toy in her mouth helps but my preferred method is to teach her that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as she makes contact, just walk out of the room for a few minutes. As long as everyone is consistent with the above she will quickly learn that this game stops when she nips. If you have difficulty in getting her teeth off you, you can use a light house line (no handle, to avoid snagging) and use that to remove her so she doesn't form any negative association with being touched.

Regarding crying when you walk out, you don't want her to develop separation anxiety so practice walking out of the room for a few moments, several times a day, while she is occupied with something else like a stuffed Kong toy. This makes your departure less of an issue than if you did it whilst engaged with her. Try to go back in the room before she stresses - you want her reaction to be "oh, you're back, I hadn't realised you had gone". Build up time slowly.

Thanks, Joanne! You're becoming my mentor. :)

I haven't had a pup for many years but she is only 9weeks old and only 6 days ago was taken from her mum and litter mates I would imagine her behaviour when she gets seperated from you too, albeit for a moment, is perfectly normal.
There are many on here with experience and good advice when it comes to pups, sure they can be a bit more helpful.;)
btw, is a 'sprolliedor' a border collie, springer, lab??

Thanks. That makes sense. And yes: lab/springer/bc

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back