The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help needed for my dog rabbit

LillyandRabbit

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone, my dog Rabbit who is a Terrier cross has always sat in his basket on my bicycle when we cycle to and fro work. He's always done this since he was a puppy. He is now six years old. Suddenly last year when he was around five years old he started barking at other dogs whilst in the basket. The strangest thing is that he never ever did this for five years.

It has become embarrassing as I am cycling along and he sounds like a voracious aggressive dog and makes the whole bike shake up and down! When cycling along and I can see a dog up ahead and I'm behind someone I just worry his sudden barking will really startle someone elderly or scare a dog who then might bolt. He only does this while in the basket although on a few occasions now I've started noticing that when he is on the lead and I am walking he may do a bit of barking or growl at other dogs, but nothing like when he is in the basket.

He is totally socialized with other dogs and plays with them in the parks all the time.

The basket on my bike is situated at the front, I'm wondering if maybe thats why and I should transfer him to the back of the bike?

The mystery is that I'm always really strict with him. He is not allowed in the bedroom or on the sofa. I never feed him whilst I'm eating. I always feed him after I've eaten. I always walk through doorways first and then he follows. He's pretty bootcamped as they go and not a spoilt unruly dog. He gets lots of exercise everyday, I run him for miles literally.

Sensible suggestions please as to what I can do and also I would really like to know why he is doing it and why all of a sudden after five years?

Many Thanks

Rabbit-Green-Bandana-Web.jpg

What do you do when he does the barking?

Strange how it's suddenly just started.

First off, as I always recommend if a dogs behaviour changes, you need to rule out medical problems. Has he had a recent check up at the vets?

It's most likely nothing medical but sometimes a change in behaviour can sometimes be a signal that something isn't right. In my experience it's better to be safe and check than to leave it and something gets serious later on.

Secondly, the day this first happened, did you do anything different? Did you use a different bike, basket, collar or lead?

Sometimes the smallest of things can set these guys off.

Panic mostly. Or shout 'no' but now I actually have started to ignore him as I thought it wasnt a good idea to give him attention when he is barking. I think I must get tense when I see another dog ahead and he probably senses it now.

Strange how it's suddenly just started.

First off, as I always recommend if a dogs behaviour changes, you need to rule out medical problems. Has he had a recent check up at the vets?

It's most likely nothing medical but sometimes a change in behaviour can sometimes be a signal that something isn't right. In my experience it's better to be safe and check than to leave it and something gets serious later on.

Secondly, the day this first happened, did you do anything different? Did you use a different bike, basket, collar or lead?

Sometimes the smallest of things can set these guys off.
He goes to the Vet twice a year, has been there recently, he is very healthy and nothing wrong so its not likely to be that. The day it first happened to be honest I cant remember at all if there was something that set him off. Its almost as if he's just discovered that he can bark and since he's discovered he hasnt stopped. I've had the same basket, bike and harness for him since the beginning and always similar collar/lead. Its almost as if once he got to five years old he's had adult hormones or something?

I guess it could be hormones but why now at five?

I am no expert but it sounds like he maybe looking for attention or he isn't comfortable. If a dog is nervous they may use barking as a defence mechanism.

Does he bark at home?

If not, I maybe tempted to see what he is like with the basket/bike when he is at home to see if it sets him off. It maybe that he has developed a fear of something assosiated with the bike and that his only way of communicating it is barking.

Do your vets have a behaviorist, linked to them? I wonder if it worth seeking a professional oppinion?

I guess it could be hormones but why now at five?

I am no expert but it sounds like he maybe looking for attention or he isn't comfortable. If a dog is nervous they may use barking as a defence mechanism.

Does he bark at home?

If not, I maybe tempted to see what he is like with the basket/bike when he is at home to see if it sets him off. It maybe that he has developed a fear of something assosiated with the bike and that his only way of communicating it is barking.

Do your vets have a behaviorist, linked to them? I wonder if it worth seeking a professional oppinion?
Well this is it, he never barks at home. Only rarely if there's some unusual noise on the outside landing and he is guard dogging so all normal. Its not being in the basket that sets him off barking, its when we are out and he sees other dogs whilst cycling along. I spoke to the Vets about it and he said its because he's discovered he can and told me to get a pet corrector (the hissing air pump) but that never worked as I have to stop the bike and use both hands and the timing is wrong.

I think it may be because he is infront of me and up high and is guarding me, maybe he's overbonded with me? If so not sure how to solve it , other than put him on the back of the bike so he is "demoted!" and see if he stops. He's not a nervous dog, he loves being in the basket whilst cycling.

hi there. It does sound like he's doing it just cos he can, rather than because he's upset or distressed or anything. My boyfriend gave me a pag on his handlebars once down the seafront. The urge to shout out to people was very strong, it was so much fun. I think you are right, he's high up and moving fast, without having to put in any effort himself, sounds like he is just showing off...... terrier style.

I would have suggested one of those can things too, is there any way you could gaffer tape it to your handle bars or anything? Or get a loud bell or claxon???

I would try not to worry about the effect he may have on other people for now (although good on you for being sensitive about other folk) if he is secure in the basket, you have done your bit, as far as keeping him under control. Have you thought about maybe choosing a large, very under control dog, stopping and tipping him out onto the floor, so he loses that over confidence that the bike is giving him? You might want to ask the other owner first!

Relocating him to the back of the bike may also work, no harm in trying that out.

Also try not to reprimand him for a growl, it is just a warning in dog language, they need to be able to tell each other to back off, if they feel uncomfortable. Try and take note of what is happening when he does this (when he's on the ground i mean)

Good luck with everything, hope it all works out, he is a really lovely looking dog!

it just occurred to me, i put claxon!!!! I meant one of those squeaky horn things, oops!

Also, looking at it now, tipping him out? This isn't what i meant either, maybe lifting him out would be better. Crikey, sorry!

it just occurred to me, i put claxon!!!! I meant one of those squeaky horn things, oops!

Also, looking at it now, tipping him out? This isn't what i meant either, maybe lifting him out would be better. Crikey, sorry!
Hi there, dont worry I thought thats what you meant! Thanks for the reply it was really helpful and you are right its not because he is stressed, I might try the loud honking horn thing to my handle bars that might shock him to stop! If that fails he is def going on the back.

Yes god knows how we will get along! :> But thanks for all your replies, I'll have to buckle down and get it sorted.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back