The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Needed on Puppy Agression

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Don't let him out - take him out. This is a really important distinction. It allows you to reward him once he has done an outdoor pee - and don't forget he may need a second one a few moments after, and needs to be rewarded for both - and it stops him being too anxious to get back indoors in case he is missing something, and so not emptying out fully. Don't fret him or say "come on" sort of phrases - just quietly stare into the middle distance while he potters about, then once he has finished his pee, reward him. Then, rather than head straight back indoors, let him potter about a bit more, just in case.

Don't let him out - take him out. This is a really important distinction. It allows you to reward him once he has done an outdoor pee - and don't forget he may need a second one a few moments after, and needs to be rewarded for both - and it stops him being too anxious to get back indoors in case he is missing something, and so not emptying out fully. Don't fret him or say "come on" sort of phrases - just quietly stare into the middle distance while he potters about, then once he has finished his pee, reward him. Then, rather than head straight back indoors, let him potter about a bit more, just in case.

Good advice thank you.

He does potter about a lot and never rush him but when he is finished he tends to come back in on his own accord for his treat.

Just catching up with this thread...so he's about 8 months old now and a big dog, and basically he's like a big teenager. And we know what they are like. You just have to continue with the training and rewarding good behaviour. Use treats to get what you want him to do. Find his favourite toy and use that as a bargaining tool. Use a long line indoors and out, and try to ignore bad behaviour.
Good luck

Just catching up with this thread...so he's about 8 months old now and a big dog, and basically he's like a big teenager. And we know what they are like. You just have to continue with the training and rewarding good behaviour. Use treats to get what you want him to do. Find his favourite toy and use that as a bargaining tool. Use a long line indoors and out, and try to ignore bad behaviour.
Good luck

Thank you

He's started "humping" Bev now and sniffs other women that come to the house. We took him to the vet yesterday but they gave me the same advice really, just push through it and things will get better.

Our 3 month old pup humps a couple of items. Castration should sort that out, plus any aggression/dominance

As he is a giant breed we can't get him castrated until he is 18 months old
Our vets will not castrate our boys before they are 3 years old and will only be done if there is a medical reason..most dogs with problems are neutered males ..there is alot more knowledge now about Not neutering male dogs ...please dont rush into having him neutered at 18 months 😀

Neutering Does Not always solve aggression..a neighbours golden retriever went through an awful phase so she had the implant put in that mimics neutering and guess what Nothing changed ...he did get over it but neutering was not the answer....once it's done there is no going back 😉

From my experience, neutering can remove some of that full-on 'angry young dog' behaviour, but most aggression - and apparent dominance - is based in insecurity, and neutering too early is likely to make that worse. Testosterone will help a dog develop the confidence he needs to become a cool, calm dog that really doesn't feel the need to challenge. An insecure dog may feel the need to prove his are bigger even if he doesn't know where they are any more ... ;-)

Jasper used to hump both his bed and me after he'd been neutered. He grew out of humping his bed, but would still occasionally try to hump me if we'd been playing on the floor together and he got a bit excited - or realised I was about to go and do something else. Nothing to do with dominance, or sexuality - just excitement and/or frustration that the fun was about to end. I just separated myself, which was easier said than done at times, but it wasn't a problem.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back