The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help or advice appriciated

Shadows pal

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi all, my dog has been diagnosed with oral squarmous cell carcinoma in March, he has been getting worse and I feel like he has been written off by the vets as they advised due to the tumour being in the back of his mouth there is nothing they can do at all! I also only heard about cbd oil about 2 weeks ago and have been using this for a week, the progression has been fast and he has face/nose swelling which I believe the cbd oil has reduced slowly but it is much still there. He now has trouble going to the toilet and has started to stand and stare as if he has forgotten what he was doing. He also in the last few days hasn’t wanted to eat much.
All this started a week after having some teeth removed. Since the teeth removal he refuses to let anyone open his mouth and the vets do not want to sedate him. I’m now worried about what is happening in his mouth and that he may also have some kind of sepsis due to a possible infection of the teeth removal sites or tumour.
He did have a antibiotic and painkiller injection at the vet today which pretty much knocked him out for 8hours but this has now worn off.

If anyone has had any experience of this type of cancer any advice or info would be appreciated

Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I don't have anything helpful but didn't want to read and run.

It seems your time is limited. My advice would be to make what time you have the best , spoil your dog, love him and make these the most wonderful days he has. But dont let him suffer, the last and most important act of love we can offer is letting go..

It seems to me that the best you can do is spoil him, love him, care for him but i know how hard it is to say good bye. im so sorry you are in this situation all my love and hugs go out to you both. :(

I can only ditto the other comments which is probably not what you want to hear.

It doesn’t sound like he’s having a great quality of life at the moment. But only you can make a decision about him.

Thinking of you :-(

Thank you all for the replies, I know I will have to make that decision probably sooner rather than later but it seems at the moment he doesn’t want to give up yet so I don’t want to either. He has been given some antibiotics at the weekend and he has been eating more. He has also been to the toilet. I will do everything I can to keep him happy for now, I only wish it was possible to take this from him, it’s just so rubbish that these things happen!

I am so sorry, it really is such a tough decision.

There is a scale used to assess our pets' quality of life when they are seriously ill. What is their quality of life in relation to Hurt, Hunger, Hydration, Hygiene, Happiness, Mobility and More good days than bad days. You can find more detail here

Pawspice And Animal Oncology Consultation Service - Veterinarian In Hermosa Beach, CA USA :: Quality of Life Scale

There is a saying, better a week too soon than a day too late. It's a terrible decision but one that responsible owners have to face. If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back