The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Please?

Shaz

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Dont know if anyone remembers but I placed a post for 'brindle whippet wanted'. I got many replies for pups but really wanted an older dog/ bitch. Well I have got a beautiful whippet/saluki cross. She is from Lancaster dogs rescue, the think she has been a gypsy dog. Milly - as we have called her, is very scared of people and cowers at the sight of a person or child. She has been with me for the past 5 days as I have still holidays left and still fids it difficult to come forward for treats etc. Milly has bonded with Jake brilliantly (he is an 18 month Greyhound/saluki cross)she sleeps in his bed follows him round inside the house ad on her flexi-lead. Never the less he does have his moments, in the house and also when he is running free on the field.. Jake will run up to her bites her ear, collar or leg and run off, then turn round and do it again. What I want to know is 'is she playing? Milly cries and makes a whimper noise but does bear her teeth, she cowers and lies on the floor. It upsets me and i get cross at Jake and say No, his tail is wagging but she clearly doesnt or is too scared to join in or do anything back.

Does this sound normal to you, I have ever had two dogs before and Jake is such a layed back clumsy fellow I find it hard too believe he would hurt her deliberatly.

can anyone give me advice, or reassure me?

Sharon :D

I would like to post some photos which I have on mypets.com could you tell me how?

Sounds to me as though Jake wants Milly to play :b and that she really dosnt have clue how to :( Give them time and hopefully she will get to understand that all he wants is a play mate . Who knows what she has had to put up with during her life / Hope shes continue s to settle :luck:

Well done for getting her , any piccys of both ;)

hi- i wouldn't worry at the moment. I think jake is just excited about having a mate, he's also trying to show he is boss. Milly may probably build her confidence up and one day chase and nip him too. My mum has a labrador bitch-cassie and kept a dog from her last litter-scott, he is now 12 months- and really beats her up sometimes, really pushing her. But when she has enough she will tell him what for! I think its the same for all adolescent dogs-they need to test other dogs in their pack, and i just think milly isnt used to this interaction yet, it may take a while- but don't worry!x...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back