The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

HELP PLEASE

s25ale

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HI,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, ive got a dog thats one year old now and he just interested in chasing the skin, this has led to much bigger problems such as tackeling during racing, although ive tryed nothing seems to be getting through and i feel im running out of ideas, and help will be much apreciated, thanks.

sorry i mean 'just not interested in chasing the skin'*

I would try and get youre dog as lure crazy as possible before putting it in with another dog. does youre dog have a toy or a rag or anything it really likes? if so put it on the lure and play with him at the end of the track as much as poss ( our dogs like yellow onion sacks). Why not try putting him away for a couple of months and taking rabbiting over winter, and introduce him to the track again at a later day!, with him being a dog, he is probably very slow maturing!

Thanks for the reply. I've tried getting him lure crazy but hes just not interested in any kind of 'rag' except when there’s food in the onion bag, but as soon as he’s had the food he looses interest. He’s as keen as mustard when he’s out in the fields but seems to know the difference between vermin and cuddly toys. So much for whippets being dumb. I’ve thought about leaving him for the winter months and starting him afresh in the spring but with this he’s getting older and people have said the older he gets the harder the problem will be to cure. Help!!!

I hope this helps. About six years ago I had a pup who would not chase his brother was a dream pup to school but not him. What I did was to take him away from the track till he was about eighteen months old took back and he chased the lure but only because I stood at the top to catch him. He was very laid back at the track he never barked or pulled on the lead but he did race his name was Georges Choice. At the moment I have a ten month old pup he will chase but I know he is not ready for a pass so have put him by till the spring so fingers crossed he will pass ok then. Maybe he needs taken away from the track to mature then try a few more small hand slips say about forty yards when he chases be at the end to play with him with the lure give lots of praise then increase the slips till he gets the hang of it all pups school at differnt ages some are racing at six months others like mine have never raced in a puppy race and it does them no harm.

TRY SCHOOLING YOUR DOG TO A BASIC DRAG LURE WHEN YOU HAVE ACHIVED THIS YOU MAY START BY PUTTING HIS DINNR IN A PLASTIC BAG AND TIEING THIS TO DRAG LURE SO HE THINKS HES GETTING FEED FROM THIS MAKE HIM ONLY EAT FROM LURE HOPE THIS HELPS

My sympathy, I have a ped racing whippet,born November 1998 who during 2000 season frequently stopped refusing to leave the traps, until she refused to race more or less continuously.  In September 2000 I took her off the track and through the winter coursed her, took her up in the hills , ran her in country parks and did anything different I could and as far as possible from the racing scenario.  I put her back on the track in July this year (peds only started in July because of F&M this year), and she has never stopped once since, and in fact won her first open this year.  Like yours she has been 'accused' of being to bright for her own good!!  Also she seems to run better if I don't run her too often, although I did run her nearly every weekend from mid August to early October and it was late Sept she won her Open.  She's now off the track again and 'doing other things'.  This may not work for your boy, but I wish you well and don't give up, sometimes a rest and a return to something as a new thing again does work.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back