The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help! shadow dog

Tonistokes

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've been researching but I can't say my dog has separation anxiety, I have two sausage dogs and it's the youngest where I have the issues. He literally follows me everywhere. If I go to the toilet he will come stand right beside me. If I go downstairs in the night for a glass of water he will follow me. I didn't notice it too much, but at the moment I'm 38 weeks pregnant so I'm getting up in the night a hell of a lot to pee and get a drink of water, and my dog is so sleepy but he will plod and follow me 3 metres down the hall to the bathroom, he will flop on the floor and sleep for the 30 seconds it takes me to pee then follow me back to bed! If I go downstairs to make a hot water bottle he will follow me, curl up at my feet while I wait for the kettle to boil then follow me back. I'm only gone a few minutes! If I shut the door behind me to stop him when I come back guaranteed he will be sat right at the door waiting. But when I read up on this he doesn't show any signs of being distressed he doesn't cry or whine if I close the door he just patiently waits, if I leave the house he doesn't destroy anything or poop and pee in distress...maybe as he has a dachshund brother to keep him company? I don't get the feeling he's distressed or upset when I leave him it just seems to be that he's happy to follow me anywhere and be as close as possible! During the day when he's got a toy or chew bone or playing with his brother in the garden he's fine, but at night time or when he's tired is when he does this. Any advice? Xx

I have a Whippet and what you describe is normal for them, they just love being with their person. As the dog is not distressed I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back