The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help with begging

Cath S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there. I wondered if someone could help me. My dog Freddie is now 3.5 years old.
Nothing has changed in his routine but he has started begging for treats in the evening. We both work full time and like to just relax after evening walk and dinner. He used to just snuggle with us on the sofa until bedtime. He has now started begging and will just sit next to me constantly pawing until I give him a treat. It is now about 4-5times an evening and I fear I have made a rod for my own back. He will not settle until he gets a treat but then does it again about 30mins to an hour later and starts whining if I ignore him. I can only assume it’s a treat he is after but obviously don’t speak ‘dog’. Does anybody have any advice for me please?

Unfortunately, if you give in and give him a treat even occasionally when he begs, this will strongly reinforce the behaviour. It works just like pester power with children - he's learnt that if he goes on, and on, and on he'll get what he wants in the end.

I think the only solution is to go 'cold turkey', but it will take a lot of whining before he finally realises that once he's had his evening meal that's it for the day. And if, in desperation, you give him a treat after an hour of constant whining, he'll simply decide that an hour of constant whining is worth it for the reward.

My dog understood 'all gone'. Though he also knew who of his people friends would say 'all gone' but then give in if he pestered more 🤣 I guess I taught it simply by saying 'all gone' when the opportunity for treats ended, but I didn't teach it in a formal way. It would help a lot if you could teach Freddie this (and never follow up by giving 'just one more'!)

I wonder if, once you're all done for the day and sitting down, instead of giving him a treat or two, maybe give him something he can take his time over? Maybe a kong or similar smeared with something tasty? It could mark the time to settle. I do remember though that Freddie has a sensitive tum, so stick with what you know he's ok with, if carrots are ok and he likes them maybe cook and mash them for example.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back