The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help with my puppy (New member)

Tommyboy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi. I have a basset hound who is 18 months old and a cocker/lab cross who is 13 weeks old. They are both wonderful boys and full of energy. Tommy is our cocker/lab cross and he has had his fair share of health problems, we are his 2nd home and he has been with us 3 weeks now. He needs bathing twice a week and eye drops 3 times a day, luckily he is a water baby! He was very snappy when we first got him, when we touched him, but this is improving as time goes by. He still has certain triggers that cause him to growl and snap. Will he grow out of this, or is he going to get worse? Charlie our basset adores him and they have bonded brilliantly. In fact Charlie has been tenderly licking his face every morning, not really sure if basset drool has healing properties but Tommy doesn't object! I am hoping that with time and patience Tommy will feel safe with us, but have my concerns about the growling. The vet said he had never seen a puppy react like that and thought maybe there had been some abuse. Any advice on how to handle this would be much appreciated.

View attachment 111971736

Welcome to the forum Tommyboy!

What a gorgess dog.

Have the vets confirmed what is wrong?

If it's an issue with abuse, you will probably have to work with him to keep him calm etc. I am sure in time he will learn to trust you.

Dogs are great at copying other dogs so you could use your older dog to show the youngster how it's done.

We'd love to see pictures of your other dog!

Tommy has definitely had lice, fleas and ear mites, this has been confirmed at the vets. The eye and skin problem is more complex. The vet thinks it could be triggered by the stress of moving about so much and his immune system just can't cope. If things don't improve soon I will take him back again, there has been talk of a skin scrape to find out the exact cause. I talked to tommy's previous owner today and it would seem that he came from a breeder, but they said conditions there were not good. I'm sure we will get there, his behaviour is definitely better than it was, just want to get him happy and healthy. image.jpg

Lovely photo! :)

My Oreo had skin scrapes about 2 years ago. She suffers with allergies. However in her case further investigation was required.

Hopefully as he's a pup he will grow out of it.

We've managed to control Oreo's allergies. We still don't know what causes them but she's more comfortable now than she's ever been.

Hopefully your dog will calm down and settle in and that'll be the end of it :)

What lovely photos! hope he has settled a bit more and is a bit healthier now :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back