The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help

Jane Wilson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have 2 springers. One is just over a year and one 5 months. They fight, they pull on their leads. They don't listen. They have also been ill with intermittent diarrhea and bladder infections. I am at the end of my tether. All the wee and poo. All the medications that don't work. If I'd known how hard and stressful dog ownership was I would not be here today. 9 months of stress is not worth the few short minutes of good times. I paid for a trainer he was horrendous. Told me to hit the dogs with keys, hurt them with collars. So upsetting. I don't know what to do.

What a terrible trainer :( First... the sickness will pass. There's a nasty virus doing the rounds, but your dogs should be on the mend. Try not to stress about the training until they are both better, because no one can focus when dealing poomageddon... Maybe you need to go back to the vet and ask for more advice.

Second... two very young springers, so close in age, are going to be a challenge at the best of times. Most people would advise adding a new pup when your first is still so young, but you have them now. Training two pups can be more than twice the work of training one, and they are likely to focus more on each other than with you.

It sounds like you would benefit from a really good behaviourist. If you tell us approximately whereabouts in the country you are, we might be able to help. In the meantime... self-medicate with gin and chocolate!

Wow, you do have a lot on your plate -two teenage, high energy dogs is a lot of work, so first, don't beat yourself up. Second, that trainer sounds terrible, well done for not doing what he said.

I think the advice I would give is to prioritise. For me, that would be the infections, once you are on top of these it will be easier. Then, pick one thing - like the fighting. Is it play fight or serious fight? If its serious, they need to be separated and ultimately that might mean rehoming one. That might not be a terrible thing - hard as it is, it would make all of your lives a lot easier. I dont say that lightly, but it has to be a consideration.

Oh my goodness , I feel for you so much, fingers crossed things will get better, having one Springer is a challenge ( been there :p) but two youngsters....very brave :D have you anyone you can share your problems with? Or are you doing it all on your own? :(
As Judy says , the sickness will pass , so concentrate on getting them well first then find some help ....are they dogs , bitches or one of each ?

Well first of...I'm glad you recognized the 'trainer' was horrendous. One just not hit and hurt dogs, once you start that route, your dogs will remember it and it will always linger between their trust for you.
Both of your dogs are young and will behave like pups, fuelling each other to take their play sessions to further and when they are at it, they won't see and hear anything else. That play can be so rough that you might believe they are actually fighting. Are they drawing blood? Do both of them take turns to turn on their backs and tummies up in the air...that is play fighting and if they both expose their tummies, it is safe to say it is likely to be 'friendly' rather than hurtful fighting. The younger will be challenging its boundaries already with the older one and older establishing its dominance.
You will have to keep eye on this behaviour and step in when the games start getting really rough. But don't go there and get bitten if they are making true fight and hurting each other.
I separate my youngsters by telling them firmly off using NO command and if needs to be, I pick up the younger one, separate them BOTH from each other. One goes into kitchen behind the child gate and other to different room behind closed door. The idea both get taken away from the rough and tumble area..giving them 5-10 mins to cool down time and then letting them both back to the same room again. Talking them to keep the calm, maybe giving them something else to do...their own chews. Basically so that they learn they can be in same space without need for all the hulabaloo. If it still carries on, I repeat it as many times until the message sinks in.
But they do need to have that rough and tumble as long as it is 'friendly' sort.
You might have to start training the walking by doing it separately at first, you don't gain anything from stressful walk as they will feed from you emotions and nor their will be calm.
Having 2 pups is not easy...and it is hard work...and you will have hair pulling moments...and feeling teary at times.
I feel that you might have too much expectations what having 2 young dogs is like..it is damn hard work and with some dogs it takes bit longer than others before they and you find the way to work together. Sadly it is mostly down to you and how to progress with their training. Good trainer can show you ropes how to do it, but if you don't do it yourself and not keep it up..your dogs won't progress.
As for the illness...that is vetenary stuff and you do have to go back to get it sorted if the medication they are on do not work.

Is it making you feel any better? ;) Might take a couple of bottles ...:D

I had a shufty round t'internet for behaviourists in your area and quite like the look of this one: Home Page - Suburban Dog Trainer He seems to tick a lot of boxes: member of APDT, BSc in canine behaviour & training, force-free, talks about changing your dog's emotions as opposed to focusing just on the unwanted behaviour...

If anyone you're considering talks about status or hierarchy... walk away!

I have nothing to offer other than wishing you all the best.
All the Springers I've known have been trained gun dogs and spot on.
There was one though when it was a pup was a complete arsehole , we called it asbo. But when it got to a certain age something clicked in its brain and it's turn out to be the go to gun dog.
So all is not lost, something can be done with them.

I have nothing to offer other than wishing you all the best.
All the Springers I've known have been trained gun dogs and spot on.
There was one though when it was a pup was a complete arsehole , we called it asbo. But when it got to a certain age something clicked in its brain and it's turn out to be the go to gun dog.
So all is not lost, something can be done with them.
LOL..
Mine is not a springers but when they got to near 6 weeks, that something did 'click' and there on each week there seemed to be drastic changes in their thinking and behaviour. Asbo...:D

LOL..
Mine is not a springers but when they got to near 6 weeks, that something did 'click' and there on each week there seemed to be drastic changes in their thinking and behaviour. Asbo...:D

This was my dog. He mouthed constantly as a pup, chewed everything, used to play a 'game' where he'd stand outside barking to get me to chase him or run away with something into the garden he wasn't supposed to have and wouldn't come back, was 4.5 months before he was completely house-trained... then somewhere after the year mark he got considerably easier and now at 2 he is just perfect :) he is so well behaved and a delight to have around. He is a cocker but the size and shape of a big Springer :rolleyes: I suspect there is some in him somewhere.

To the OP thinking back over Ted's puppyhood, I think your biggest friend is time. They are both so young yet. I bet a year from now they will gave matured so much.

You obviously have a tough job on your hands. As mentioned, first priority is curing the infections. If your current vet is not helping, suggest you get another opinion.
Re training, as advised already do investigate other behaviouralists/ trainers, getting recommendations. Certainly the one you used is an absolute NO,NO. Being so stressed will feed through to your dogs, which will make your task even more difficult.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back