The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hepatic Diet?

bappit

UNIQUE~same as everyone else!
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have a young dog (12 months), who has in the few months since he's come to me failed to gain any weight or muscle tone, despite being a relatively good eater.

Recent blood test has shown indications of liver shunt. As such have agreed with vet to try him on hepatic meal, and am frantically reading Google results in search of further information and diet. Of course there is the option of having him investigated further at the vet school, however I really do not want to go down that route with such a young underweight dog.

Would really value ANY input/advice/experience from you folks.

Many thanks in anticipation :unsure:

Sheena

Hi,

This is probably not relevant but having Rafferty bedlington I've read up on that breed quite a lot & they are prone to liver problems (copper toxicosis)

We have no way of knowing whether Raffy is affected or not as we don't know his breeding. He has had regular blood tests & so far everything seems to be o.k. :thumbsup:

Just as a precaution I give him milk thistle tablets as it is good for liver function.

I also take them when I've overindulged on the wine :- "

You would obviously need to check with a vet but it may help your dog,

good luck. :luck:

Julie

Many thanks for your post Julie. :thumbsup:

I've been finding out what I can about possible homeopathic treatments which could possibly make Finbar's life a little better, and will see what the vet thinks of trying some next time we see him. (Though I may skip telling vet that my wiccan friend wants to try crystal healing on him-and why not eh?)

I can say the meal he is on now is a low protein high carb type from the vet...and his breath is now :x (weird as I have heard folk say that about the Atkins diet for humans-although i think thats high protein low/no carb has the same effect (w00t) ), too early to say if its doing him any good, but it does'nt seem to be doing him any harm (even if it is hitting the purse pretty hard).

I like the sound of the milk thistle, had a look on the net to find out a little more- may well try them (at least for me...as per your recommendation :cheers: ).

Sincerely hope that Rafferty stays clear of CT.

Thanks again.

Sheena

(You know I've always wondered about the copper toxicosis turing up in lurchers that are bred Beddiexwhatever, as I knew it was a long running problem in the pure bred and the breed club were doing all they could to address it, would guess there had been a good few matings from Beddies over the years to produce lurchers - wonder if hybrid vigour takes over? As I've seen the Bedlington colouration/coat/nature quite prevailant, even when through breeding away from it that gene can only make up a small %...Hmm, sorry digressing :oops: does'nt keep me awake at night, just pondered that from time to time :wacko: )

Yeah, I've wondered that too. I suppose if an affected dog was mated with another of a different breed there would be a chance of puppies being affected. I don't really know too much about the genetics involved.

I hope Finbar is o.k. & I'd give the crystals a try anyway, what harm can it do? :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back