The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Holidays..what do you do?

Raven oaktree

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sooo when you book a holiday what do you do with your fur babies?

Grommit, my old man is loved by everyone, and my friends fight over who will look after him, when we went away last year one of my very good friends moved in and looked after my dogs , chucks n ducks..we just paid her the same as a dog sitter and bought her food for a week..we had Marley then an he had too many issues for any other option other than for him to be look after at home

This year we are looking for a disabled friendly cottage that allows dogs in cornwall, so they will come with us but later in the year we are taking Jamie on a very special trip to america..I would never put grommit into kennels..i think he would just curl up and die..he has been dumped at a rescue several times and he would think we had done the same ..i couldnt bare him to think that..so friends will have him..bu what do i do with Willow?..later in the year she will be older i know..but she is such hard work..she is a good girl..of course she is but she is also a teenage GSD cross!!..ALL my friends are amazed with her level of energy..and obviously her recal is erm...crap..so even though we are on high alert and make sure the doors and gates are kept closed and she has no access to an open outside door etc i just cant expect my friends to take her on for a week or so..not till she is a little older anyway..like i say, she is fab..she has learnt so many hings..but we all know how hard a teenage high energy dog can be..we put up with it because we love them and are in it for the long haul and know this is a stage they go through and will get to the other side...but i cant expect anyone else to pu up with her antics..do you hink she would be ok in kennels or do you think she would suffer..TBH, i feel sick at he though of it and may have to find someone to house sit yet..but finding someone you trust is blummin hard too..

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't put Molly in kennels, and so whenever we've been on holiday she's come with us. We went to a wedding 18 months ago down south and we thought we'd hit on the perfect solution in a friend who volunteered to house sit with Molly while we were away for the weekend.

However, it really didn't turn out that well. Mol spent the weekend trying to get out of the door to stand by the front gate waiting for me, and not only did she refuse to eat for my friend, but she gave up drinking too, so by the time we came back after 48 hours she was all sunken eyed and gaunt looking. Molly sleeps in our room at night and my friend was originally going to sleep in our bed while we were away, but Molly wouldn't let her in the room, so she went up to the spare bedroom to sleep. Unfortunately Molly decided that since she was alone she needed to tell the world that she was lonely (she wouldn't have been so bloody lonely if she'd allowed my friend into the room or gone to be next to my friend in her room) so she spent the night in our room howling, with my friend unable to get into the room to reassure her. She also tried to take Mol for a walk but Molly refused to go with her (got as far as the pavement and then braced) so all round, when we arrived back and Molly drank half her water bowl and then ate 2 dinners, then ran round wagging, my friend decided that she wouldn't do this in future.

For that reason, if she can't go with us then don't go anywhere. I have problems because of my ridiculous height getting on planes anyway (my leg bones are longer than the space between the seats but I can't operate the emergency exit because of my gammy arm so I can't sit on the rows with extra leg room) so I haven't been on a plane in 15 years and don't really miss it. Holidays are a cottage somewhere that I can reach in a couple of hours in a car and I'm fine with that.

]

hhh, thinking about Molly being so sad makes me want to cry..im not surprised you wont leave her again :( . Obviously Willow is not even a year old , but grommit has always been well looked after by friends he knows very well and adores. We have already been talking about looking for a camper van so we can take them with us most places, but what im worried about is later in the year. As you know my son is very sick and he is in the process of having a wish granted by a wonderful charity. The wish involves him going to America and obviously we cant take the dogs with us. Im already feeling so sick about leaving Willow im even thinking of just asking his dad to take him, but i dont want to miss out on his wish..or seeing his face when he experiences it :( ..but the though of leaving Willow in kennels is making me feel sick. Friends have said they will have her, but unless you have had a high energy GSD adolescent pup you have n idea what you are letting your self in for so i just wouldnt feel settled leaving her ...ohhhh, i might just have to put her in one of those shrinking vacume bags and sneak her with me ;)

Hi Raven Oaktree.

I would never put Bear in kennels either. he is too social and too sensitive to be locked up pretty much all day.

I thankfully found a home boarding place where I live. Her sole purpose in life is looking after everyone elses' dogs in the comfort of her own home. Bear LOVES it as there are other dogs there and it's totally fun 24 hours a day for him pretty much!

he doesn't even care we have gone, its when we pick him up; he is happy as larry until we take him home and he looks so gutted he has been taken away from his pals! We have no issues leaving him at the home boarding as Jonelle is amazing and looks after him so well, and you can tell from how happy he is. She has a facebook page and posts pictures of the dogs she looks after so you can see how much for they are having and she is happy to talk to me any time Bear is with her as the first few times I was very anxious and worried he wouldn't settle, but far from it thankfully!

If you google home boarding for dogs in your area or a bit further out, you may be able to find someone that can have both of your babies at the same time, so Willow may be more settled having her pal with her.

let me know how you get on xx

Thanks guys :)

People without dogs just dont understand how stressful leaving them is :( ...my friend that looked after Grommy and Marley last year was wonderful..not many people could handle Marley but she could. Unfortunatly she has moved a couple of hours away so Emma isnt an option any more. Goldenbear i think i will start looking for a homesitter,. Im just worried abut Willow, we are putting so much into her training i would want someone who would continue with that, and although she is very good for her age she needs to be watched like a hawk because she is young and into everything, she is getting better everyday but she is still full of mischief because of her age an i want someone who will understand that and not get frustrated with her..i know i put posts up about her antics but its more 'tongue in cheek'..when we lost Marley we were totally totally heartbroken and although Willow hasnt replaced Marley she has helped us heal. She makes us laugh evereyday with her antics, and amazes us with her wit and intelligence , but she is a high energy pup, she cant be left alone because she is into everything, she is very hard work and some days i just feel like hiding in the greenhouse with a bottle of booze, but we love her soooo much and im just worried that other people wont laugh off her mischief moments like we do ..i think i will start looking for a fab home sitter..once again, thanks guys x

Hi Raven Oaktree.

I know how you feel but trust me if you find a decent home boarding place like I have you will have no need to worry.

She will be surrounded by other dogs that will "show her the way" if you will in terms of behavior and how she is supposed to be around other dogs etc. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that when Bear comes back from home boarding he is a better more well behaved dog than when we left him. he continues to learn more and more every time he is there as he is learning more and more doggy etiquette in that time he is with Jonelle.

the first time we left him with her he was 10 months old and going through that wonderful phase you are in now with Willow. When we picked him up it was like we had a different dog! More chilled, calmer and just better! She did a better job than I did!!!! But having the other dogs around has a lot to do with it.

At home boarding they are never left alone, as that's the whole point of them looking after them; so they wont be alone!!

Trust me Willow will be fine and will end up having the best time there if you manage to find somewhere.

let me know if you do find someone.

Sophie x

And there was me thinking I'm a bit weird when I get really anxious when we leave our two to go away.

Good to know there are others in the same boat out there :D

We have a 6 year old Greyhound that's just too easy to look after (aside from zero recall!) plus a 10 month old (ish) lurcher cross (with sporadic recall).

There puppy seems to have the energy of multiple dogs and can find mischief where none appears to exist. So looking after him can be challenging!

We went away for a week recently and left out two at home with my sister in law. She has zero dog experience so we also got my parents (very experienced dog owners) to look in daily.

So just a possible option for anyone (no, not to borrow my parents and sister in law:) ) but if you have an inexperienced but willing dog/house sitter plus an experienced dog owner that's willing to check in daily, that may be an option?

Hope that helps... :)

We bought an old motorhome and take our dogs everywhere, even to Europe, in it. A caravan is also an option.

Hi ..I'm Rick and I joined this forum years ago and it produced a wonderful pet for me..however we now have a problem of what to do with them(we inherited another when one of my daughters came home)..when we go abroad..because our kids have flown of to all corners of the globe we normally spend christmas with one of them each year.We used to have a reliable dog carer but she has become past the task..so does anyone know of a person who would care for two well behaved dogs(rottie x..staffie x) over christmas for a couple of weeks at their house..a big ask maybe

So many people are so lucky to have family who will help them out. We are the same we just went to mexico with some friends, and left the lovely Bella with my mum for 3 days and my mother in law for 4 days, so that worked out really well. As we haven't had her that long then we haven't taken her anywhere yet but I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences about dog friendly hotels. It would be nice to have the option of a holiday in the UK without having to ask my parents for help. I'm sure they will get fed up of me asking one day!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back