The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Home made Pheasant mince.

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Diet' started by excuseme, Feb 5, 2020.

1. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

At last, the shooting season finished last Saturday, and we (this includes the dogs) can now all have a well earned break. Phew!

I have just finished weighing up my last 48lb of home minced "complete" phesants. Every part was used and minced except most of the feathers and the little part of intestines which had the poo in, (although I am sure this would have added to the "complete" benefit of the whole product). We roughly skinned the birds which removed most of the feathers,(some went through the mincer) and used the feet as treats. We have been doing this all season since last November, keeping some breasts and thighs for ourselves and friends.
    The freezers are very full and I now find myself unable to get any old meat stocks from the bottom of either freezer.( My very bad organisation, oh dear!):(:oops:

niamh123 likes this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Lucky pups!

3. Buddy1

Buddy1 Active Member Registered

Oh what lucky dogs they are. Although I seem to recall you have quite a few dogs, @excuseme, so I'm guessing it won’t be too long before you reach the bottom of the freezer:)

4. excuseme

Yes @Buddy1 , we are very greedy, we have 7 dogs :eek::rolleyes:.
    I will still continue to collect some butchers waste and bones every week, as it all helps with variety in a raw diet.

5. Buddy1

Buddy1 Active Member Registered

7 - wow! Are they all cocker spaniels?
    (I just tried to imagine owning 7 of my dog – I think I am still in shock:confused:)

6. excuseme

Yes all working type Cockers, and they all live indoors with us as family members. They are all very well settled, most days we manage a walk on the south downs. Every day they have "free" time in our field while we poo pick our donkeys but if they don't manage to get a good walk every day they just accept it as being a "shit" day! oops! and just settle into every day life with us. Their ages vary between 2 yrs to 10 yrs.

We wouldn't be without them:rolleyes::rolleyes: XX

PS, we do not cage/crate them.

Finsky and Buddy1 like this.
  7. DixD

DixD Guest

What’s your opinion on crates? It’s a funny little PS... ;)

8. DixD

DixD Guest

Try living with more than that, even for w weekend, in a caravan. That’s what happens in agility. A lot of competitors do. :D At one time, we had three sighthounds and a goldie in a 4 berth, and that was a tight squeeze!

9. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

One day someone will work out a system to organise chest freezers.... It's not easy when you're so short your feet come off the ground when you're leaning in to get stuff from the deepest depths!

excuseme and DixD like this.
  10. DixD

DixD Guest

I imagined you tall and regal like your handsome sighthound! :)

11. JudyN

Haha, think again! I know owners are meant to get to look like their dogs but it certainly didn't work in my case!

Finsky, excuseme and DixD like this.
  12. excuseme

And that beautiful slender body :rolleyes:

JoanneF likes this.
  13. JudyN

Actually... yes... you were all right first time. Tall, long legs, elegant and graceful, beautiful eyes, hairy chest..... Now let's just hope we never have a forum meet-up....:D

14. DixD

DixD Guest

Don’t forget the long, skinny tail! ;)

15. Rinkydinkydo

Rinkydinkydo Well-Known Member Registered

I've got a mixed bag of grouse, pheasant and rabbit in mine. Happy days.

16. Finsky

Finsky Well-Known Member Registered

Thank you for that...I didn't know the shooting is now finished. I have to start planning our dogs dietary changes.
    We get regular supply of birds from our beater friend, though by the sound of it nothing like the quantity you get for your dogs.
    Just few birds each week to keep dogs plates ticking over with bit of fresh meat each day. But I think mine are getting bit bored with it now and they are ready for a change.
    But it is still exciting for them to get close and personal with real feathers and 'quiet' birds...not that often let them, but occasional 'teaser' moments keep them interested ;)
    Does your dogs still get interested of the birds after you have brought them home?

17. DixD

DixD Guest

Except for the grouse, rabbit and pheasant, of course... ;)

Finsky likes this.
  18. excuseme

The girls show no interest in the birds once brought home. The birds can hang for a couple of days and they show no interest. They wait until their minced pheasant is in their dish ready for eating.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  19. Rinkydinkydo

Rinkydinkydo Well-Known Member Registered

We do a lot of trading, I'll trade a couple of rabbits for a pheasant or even for some seasonal veg. It's a great system that works great.

Finsky and excuseme like this.
  20. Finsky

Finsky Well-Known Member Registered

Yep, we too...bartering when ever possible. Keeps purse strings from snapping with wear and tear!;)