The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hotels- Charging For Dogs

annlouise

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
LAST FRIDAY, AROUND 7PM MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO NIP UP TO THE LAKE DISTRICT FOR A COUPLE OF NIGHTS TO CHILL OUT AND RELAX.

OFF WE WENT WITH OF COURSE OUR BOY, THINKING THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM FINDING SOMEHWHERE TO STAY. HOTELS WITH DOGS WERE COMMONPLACE OR SO I THOUGHT.

IT TOOK US ABOUT AN HOUR TO GET THERE, AND WE STARTED LOOKING IMMEDIATELY.

MANY PLACES WERE FULLY BOOKED, PROBABLY BECAUSE ITS HIGH SEASON.

SOME DID HAVE VACANCIES, BUT DIDNT TAKE DOGS.

WHEN I ASKED THEM WOULD THEY ACCEPT MY LOVELY POOCH THEY LOOKED AT ME LIKE I HAD TWO HEADS!. :angry:

THE HOTELS THAT WE FOUND THAT TOOK DOGS, WANTED TO CHARGE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 15.00 AND 40.00 PER NIGHT PER DOG FOR THE INCONVENIENCE! :rant:

I WAS SHOCKED, I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY HAVE TO MAKE A CHARGE, FOR ANY MISHAPS OR THE LIKE, BUT HOW ON EARTH DO THEY ARRIVE AT THOSE PRICES!

THEY WANTED 130 A ROOM FOR US, THEN THE DOG ON TOP! :rant:

I HEAR WHERE THEY ARE COMMING FROM, BUT NOT ALL OF US LET DOGS WEE AND POO IN THE ROOMS! IT SEEMS A LITTLE UNFAIR TO ME, AND THEY SHOULD ACCEPT THAT MORE AND MORE PEOPLE HAVE DOGS, WELL BEHAVED ONES AT THAT!

WHAT DOES EVERY ONE ELSE THINK ABOUT THIS

Reminds me of that response (dunno if its true or urban myth) of a Hotel Manager to an enquiry about a dog staying with the owner...along the lines of "Your dog would be most welcome to stay, I have never yet had a dog who verbally abused my staff, or stole an ashtray"

Personally I do think its a rip off, in my student days in Cumbria I had jobs in hotels...as a rule people did'nt bring dogs with them that had 'accidents' - or they must have been covered up well, the dogs often had there own beds with them. Rooms should be hoovered and dusted after every occupancy or daily anyway...so whats the problem? :blink:

Sometimes I use 'Days Inn' hotels, not the lap of luxury, but all dog/pet friendly with no extra charge, I like these as they charge per room not per person. :thumbsup:

Runs in my mind establishments are not allowed to charge guide dog owners extra as it is classed as discrimination.

bappit said:
Reminds me of that response (dunno if its true or urban myth) of a Hotel Manager to an enquiry about a dog staying with the owner...along the lines of "Your dog would be most welcome to stay, I have never yet had a dog who verbally abused my staff, or stole an ashtray"
Personally I do think its a rip off, in my student days in Cumbria I had jobs in hotels...as a rule people did'nt bring dogs with them that had 'accidents' - or they must have been covered up well, the dogs often had there own beds with them. Rooms should be hoovered and dusted after every occupancy or daily anyway...so whats the problem?  :blink:

Sometimes I use 'Days Inn' hotels, not the lap of luxury, but all dog/pet friendly with no extra charge, I like these as they charge per room not per person. :thumbsup:

Runs in my mind establishments are not allowed to charge guide dog owners extra as it is classed as discrimination.

it is a rip off just an excuse i think to get more money.

the last hotel we went to last friday, bearing in mind it was 10 pm at night, wanted 140 for friday, 15.00 for the dog, and 155 for sat and 25.00 for the dog.

maybe they thought my boy would wee and poo more on saturday than it would on friday, either that or they were just taking the mick!

i laffed at one woman because i just couldnt believe it.

so, rather than say ok, 140 for the night, its 10pm, were not going to sell the room, 100 for the room the dog can go free, they dug their heels in! so did i, we came home!

Travel Lodge charges £5 per dog with a 3 dog limit (or they did the last time I stayed with them). Days Inn accepts dogs at no extra charge. Many (but not all) Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Express's accept dogs - all at no extra charge.

I don't mind a nominal fee - yes there may be mishaps and a room with a dog probably does (or should) get a bit extra special cleaning afterwards in case the next occupant is allergic, so defnitely don't mind a nominal charge - £15-40 per dog is ludicrous.

But yes - years ago hubby and I made the mistake during the high season of thinking we could just stop and get a room (this was without a dog at the time). ROFL - NOT!! I can't imagine the trouble we'd have had if we'd had a dog as well :(

Wendy

We stayed in a travel lodge recently. The room was a good size, clean and comfortable. We only had Daisy with us and she forgot to charge for her. When I pointed that out she said, never mind she's lovely don't worry about it. I'd use them again.

Things like this torque me quite a bit. A human can do just as much damage as a dog. Isn't that why they take your credit card number? Just in case you do any damage to the room...seems to me they could charge the card just as easily for a dog as they could for a human? It's discrimination against 4-legged children I tell ya!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im hoping to go away with the dogs for a long weekend early next year maybe or even for a week in scotland, Ive been browsing on the net alot recently and found if you type in 'pets welcome' you get alot of lists of places come up.

You could try that next time, most accept pets free too or as wendy says...a small charge :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello

We stayed at a lovely hotel which accepted dog, was in the centre of the town and only £25 per night B&B. Will send name and number when checked details again

Sharon

annlouise said:
LAST FRIDAY, AROUND 7PM MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO NIP UP TO THE LAKE DISTRICT FOR A COUPLE OF NIGHTS TO CHILL OUT AND RELAX.  OFF WE WENT WITH OF COURSE OUR BOY, THINKING THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM FINDING SOMEHWHERE TO STAY. HOTELS WITH DOGS WERE COMMONPLACE OR SO I THOUGHT.

WHEN I ASKED THEM WOULD THEY ACCEPT MY LOVELY POOCH THEY LOOKED AT ME LIKE I HAD TWO HEADS!.  :angry:

THE HOTELS THAT WE FOUND THAT TOOK DOGS, WANTED TO CHARGE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 15.00 AND 40.00 PER NIGHT PER DOG FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!  :rant:

I WAS SHOCKED, I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY HAVE TO MAKE A CHARGE, FOR ANY MISHAPS OR THE LIKE, BUT HOW ON EARTH DO THEY ARRIVE AT THOSE PRICES!

THEY WANTED 130 A ROOM FOR US, THEN THE DOG ON TOP!  :rant:

I HEAR WHERE THEY ARE COMMING FROM, BUT NOT ALL OF US LET DOGS WEE AND POO IN THE ROOMS! IT SEEMS A LITTLE UNFAIR TO ME, AND THEY SHOULD ACCEPT THAT MORE AND MORE PEOPLE HAVE DOGS, WELL BEHAVED ONES AT THAT!

[qhttp://www.smoothhound.co.uk/hotels/cragsideuote=Shaz,Aug 25 2005, 06:37 AM] Check out thishotelits beautiful#

Sharon

Hello

We stayed at a lovely hotel which accepted dog, was in the centre of the town and only £25 per night B&B. Will send name and number when checked details again

Sharon

annlouise said:
LAST FRIDAY, AROUND 7PM MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO NIP UP TO THE LAKE DISTRICT FOR A COUPLE OF NIGHTS TO CHILL OUT AND RELAX.  OFF WE WENT WITH OF COURSE OUR BOY, THINKING THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM FINDING SOMEHWHERE TO STAY. HOTELS WITH DOGS WERE COMMONPLACE OR SO I THOUGHT.

WHEN I ASKED THEM WOULD THEY ACCEPT MY LOVELY POOCH THEY LOOKED AT ME LIKE I HAD TWO HEADS!.  :angry:

THE HOTELS THAT WE FOUND THAT TOOK DOGS, WANTED TO CHARGE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 15.00 AND 40.00 PER NIGHT PER DOG FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!  :rant:

Shaz said:
HelloWe stayed at a lovely hotel which accepted dog, was in the centre of the town and only £25 per night B&B. Will send name and number when checked details again

Sharon

annlouise said:
LAST FRIDAY, AROUND 7PM MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO NIP UP TO THE LAKE DISTRICT FOR A COUPLE OF NIGHTS TO CHILL OUT AND RELAX.   OFF WE WENT WITH OF COURSE OUR BOY, THINKING THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM FINDING SOMEHWHERE TO STAY. HOTELS WITH DOGS WERE COMMONPLACE OR SO I THOUGHT.

THE HOTELS THAT WE FOUND THAT TOOK DOGS, WANTED TO CHARGE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 15.00 AND 40.00 PER NIGHT PER DOG FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!   :rant:

yes please do i would be really intrested

We gave up with hotels cos some would not take greyhounds cos there big so we boutght a tent ok so nobody cooks your breaky but you can allways nip to the nearist cafe if you like and the freshe air knocks the dogs unconsious i dont mean a little ten i meed a big 18ft buy 14ft with bed rooms and kitchen no sluming it in a little pop up thing

fallenangel said:
We gave up with hotels cos some would not take greyhounds cos there big so we boutght a tent ok so nobody cooks your breaky but you can allways nip to the nearist cafe if you like and the freshe air knocks the dogs unconsious i dont mean a little ten i meed a big 18ft buy 14ft with bed rooms and kitchen no sluming it in a little pop up thing
well, we have a towing caravan, my whippy loves it in that, as you say the fresh air nearly kills him, you should see him, at bed time hes literally crying for his bed, he gets tucked in his sleeping bag, and rarely gets up for a wee.

i think we will stick to the van in future!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back