The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

House training a rescued dog

Eltipo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The dog is a sudoko greyhound cross with something that I don't know and she was abandoned on the beach and we adopted her we took a home we already have a staffy and unfortunately whenever we leave the new dog alone she defecates and urinates around the house uncontrollably. He can even urinate on the bed if we we go out of the room for a minute. I'm beginning to think this is why he was abandoned originally. He is about 15 months old now. We are at are wits end and will not give up on him! Any advice would be appreciated. He is big pals with my staffy who is suffering when she sees him defecate etc.

Hi there.

First of all i applaud you for rescuing him! It is a huge responsibilty as you are not only looking after this dog and giving him the love and affection he deserves but you are also rehibilitating him from whatever trauma he has been through.

I highly doubt he was abandoned because he messes in the house, however im no psychic!

Your dog is clearly distressed and very worried about being alone again given that he was abandoned and goodness knows how long he was outside on his own for :(

The first thing i would suggest is buying him a crate. get a lovel comfy bed to pop in it and cover the top with a blanket so its dark inside of the crate. This will be wear he sleeps and where he stays when alone. It will be his 'safe place'. This will give some sense of security when on his own or if you are out of the room.

Leaving him on his own doesnt sound like an option right now, but popping him his crate with a stuffed kong to keep him occupied or his favourite toy to play with or even just a few treats is a start.

Put whatever his favourite thing is in the crate and let him go in. Do not close the door. After he has been in there a few times and he feels comfortable being in there, close the door but do not lock it. Then go out the room and come back, then lock the door and go out the room and come back. Then build the time up gradually.

If you do not want to use a crate you can still do the same method but with his normal bed in the room you leave him in.

This is going to be a very long process of settling him down and making him feel secure and knowing he that when he is on his own he knows you will come back, but you will get there.

Getting him to training classes is another good thing, as it will build a stronger bond between the two of you and he will start to gain confidence which will help him at home. The trainer will also be able to give you even more advise on helping your dog. If you a pick a trainer that is half decent they will not only help you during class but they will always be on the end of the phone if you need any guidance. I strongly reccommend a trainer.

If you have to leave him on his own due to work commitments etc, you may benefit from someone dog sitting him, or going to a home boarding place where they keep the dogs like pets in the home and not in kennels. This way he has constant company whilst you are work and this will also help with his rehibilitation by being around other dogs.

I hope your little guy starts to improve and settle down and i wish you all the best.

Sophie x

It can take a couple of months at least for a rescued dog to settle into their new home. My advice is always to go back to basics. Treat it the way you would treat a puppy being trained for the first time. Sophie has some wonderful advice, so I would just say give it time, restrict his/her (sorry, you switch genders in your initial post) access to maybe one or two rooms until she's reliable, and a large crate or dog pen is potentially a good idea.

Best of luck. I'm sure given time things will be fine. Just start from scratch, and he/she should pick it up soon enough once they are clear on the rules.

Hi,

I have had my rescue three years and it's only been recently that we've started to see a different side to her.

She would never roll on her back and she is doing it more and more.

Once they learn to trust you then they will open up.

Until then it's keep going and keep consistant and they will soon pick things up.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back