The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

House Training Issues (older Dog)

TheWhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All, My whippet (perfect in every other way) is having problems lasting the night in term of creating indoor puddles! She does it by the door where we put newspaper down for her as a pup. Maybe she thinks this is stil acceptable?? She gets scolded firmly when she does it (every other night) yet she does'nt do it if she sleeps anywhere else in the house?? she is now 14 months and I am stumped for ideas on breaking the habit. I have succesfully house trained various other dogs but 'mouse' is proving stubborn. Any ideas folks?? Cheers...

TheWhippet said:
Hi All, My whippet (perfect in every other way) is having problems lasting the night in term of creating indoor puddles!  She does it by the door where we put newspaper down for her as a pup.  Maybe she thinks this is stil acceptable??  She gets scolded firmly when she does it (every other night) yet she does'nt do it if she sleeps anywhere else in the house?? she is now 14 months and I am stumped for ideas on breaking the habit.  I have succesfully house trained various other dogs but 'mouse' is proving stubborn.  Any ideas folks??  Cheers...
why can't she sleep in your room at night.. perhaps she does not like being alone!

She sleeps with my lab so she is not alone, she gets plenty of attention but she is a dog and it is important for them to know where their bed is for their security

In my experience(which is pretty limited :lol: ) all my three have been strange in house training they all go outside to do their stuff, but for weeing if you don't get there when they say so immediatley which sometimes is impossible because they walk round the house so you don't always know, it's on the floor(like you say at the door) Spry still does it occasionally nearly 12 months but the older ones don't do it anymore but it was late before they stopped, I don't know if it's a whippet thing or if they are just trying to avoid going out in the cold.

Hope it sorts itself out for you :luck:

To be honest unless you catch her in the act I don't think scolding will do any good. I doubt she has any idea what she's being scolded for.

It sounds as though she still considers this an 'acceptable' place to go if she was paper trained there. Could you trying spraying that area with lavender oil or one of the petshop products designed to deter dogs before you go to bed? It might help to block her off from that place altogether at night, or put down something like a sheet of crumpled tinfoil that she won't want to walk on. Anything that keeps her away for a few nights might break the habit.

Good luck!

*Lesley* said:
In my experience(which is pretty limited :lol: ) all my three have been strange in house training they all go outside to do their stuff, but for weeing if you don't get there when they say so immediatley which sometimes is impossible because they walk round the house so you don't always know, it's on the floor(like you say at the door) Spry still does it occasionally nearly 12 months but the older ones don't do it anymore but it was late before they stopped, I don't know if it's a whippet thing or if they are just trying to avoid going out in the cold.
Hope it sorts itself out for you :luck:

We've had the same trouble with Muffin (13 months). He always goes quite close to the door so he has tried to let us know he wants to go out but like Lesley's dogs he doesn't wait for us to get there. :oops:

We decided to make more of an effort to get him to go out regularly and make sure he goes when he's out there, and he has got much better and I would say it's rare for him now to go in the house. :) But it has been a battle with him. We've had both our whippets in January and I think it's made it more difficult to house train as they really don't like the cold and wet! :rolleyes: That's why we have decided to wait till at least March before getting another puppy!

Hope you get it sorted soon!

:cheers:

Hi The whippet, i shouldnt worry, three out of four of mine have been late going all night. My youngest is 14 months & she does a wee every other night same as yours :lol: As long as its on a hard floor, i dont think its to much of a problem. They all stop eventually in my experience :D Dont sweat the small stuff ;)

TheWhippet said:
but she is a dog
Oooh dear!! Not the usual sort of Whippet owner then!!

Have you tried getting up earlier to let her out or making sure she does a wee as late as possible??? Are you actually seeing her go last thing because they can be very good actresses if the weather is not conducive to them going out. If I don't actually go outside with my bitches it is a pound to a penny that most of them will not actually do a wee.

My Archie was about 19 months before he could go all through the night. I just ended up putting paper by the back door, and praising when he did go outside. He is fine now, it just stopped all of a sudden.

As Cheryl says, don't sweat the small stuff. As for sleeping downstairs, that is fine, I had to with my first cos we had a very old cat and it wasn't fair on her. Fynn slept in the bed til recentely, I have chucked him out cos he's a pest now. Both of mine now have a basket outside the bedroom door.

Our 10 year old sometimes piddles at the front door if she doesnt have a wee last thing, and as Dessie says unless I actually go out with her and watch her do one she wont go.

I'd take her for a quick walk last thing just to be sure she's gone.

Also - clean the area with biological washing powder which removes the smell.

Has she had her first season yet? My greyhound was 4 when I brought her home and house trained her, but she always tiddled in doors when coming into season. These phases stopped after spaying.

Good Luck

Cerito

Could she possibly have an infection?? Was she 'holding it" through the night previously & is now going by the door??

If there is no medical reason for her accidents you might want to hang some brass bells on the doorknob. She can be trained easily enough to ring them when she wants to go out.

S.

:- )

Our 5 whippets are normally perfectly clean, but we have been getting up to the odd wee on the floor in the kitchen lately - not too much of a problem as the floor is tiled - but it's nicer to get up to a clean floor!!

I put it down to it being cold at night at the moment - I'm not sure if they don't do a wee outside last thing at night, because they come in as quick as they can to get back in the warm, or if they might be disturbed by something early in the morning (our postman comes about 6.00am) - way before we're up!!! and maybe once they've been disturbed, and out from under the quilt, they then need a wee. I don't think it will last, and as it seems others are having the same problem - I'm sure it's just to do with the weather.

Yes we had been having that problem with Josephine we put her back into her crate and all clean now- I think that something was making her feel insecure and she feels safe in the crate

There are various things you can do. Crate her, she will try harder to to hold on. Install a dog flap. Take her our just before you go to bed, and try to get up earlier to let her out. make sutre she is really warm, put a coat on her, if she is cold she may need to go more often.

My Bess is nearly 6 and when the weather is really bad she goes in the laundry (situated just next to our back door) instead out through the doggie door. Our Callista, on the other hand, has always gone out, even as a little puppy and in the worst thunder storm and torrential rain. :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back