The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How did you cope with losing your dog?

Discussion in 'Missing Dogs' started by jayeshkaka, Oct 1, 2018.

1. jayeshkaka

jayeshkaka New Member Registered

I lost my best friend of 12 years two nights ago, he was getting very ill towards the end so we booked the appointment with the vet but he passed naturally the night before the appointment with all his family around him. I am beyond sad with grief, but glad he went on his own terms.Nox

I guess I'm just looking for some words of wisdom during this hard time. I miss him so much. Will it always hurt this much?ShowBox

We're planning on spreading his ashes on his favourite hill and making a big scrapbook of photos. So I was also wondering if anyone else had any other ideas to remember their late friends by? Any crafts they made/had made?Mobdro

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

So sorry for your loss..
    As time passes the raw pain will too but yes there will always be a little part of you that weeps for your friend thats what makes them so special.
    My boys have urns on the window sill next to where I sit and they wait for me. When I die I will be scattered with them so that we can walk together for eternity. In the meantime I have a memory box for each of them where I keep their collar lead favorite toy and their paperwork and of course lots of photos..

Attached Files:

3. Nanny71

Nanny71 Well-Known Member Registered

My daughter was 19 when our only previous dog died. She is 44 now and still has the ashes.
    Her other dogs, cats and rabbit are buried in her garden. But she maintains Shadow wouldn't be happy there because she never lived there.
    I never had another dog until Dudley because of losing Shadow my daughter has had several.
    I know Dudley will be my last dog because I was 70 when I had him. He may well outlive me.

4. Jack-Russell-Lover

Jack-Russell-Lover Well-Known Member Registered

I'm so sorry for you loss, you must be heart broken. It does get easier, it's only family dogs I've lost before, I only got my own dog 7 years ago so I haven't had to deal with that yet. However I grew up with my mum's Boxer and I was devastated when she passed away, I was a bit young so I don't remember much, just crying alot!

When the most recent family dogs passed away we printed out a piece of paper for each of them with their names and pictures in the middle and we all wrote the things we remembered about them. I think this is a really good idea just to remind yourselves of the little things they used to do that made you laugh or things they loved :) then you could either put it in a memory box or frame it and put it on the wall :)

Whippylove likes this.
  5. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

So sorry for your loss @jayeshkaka - I can’t imagine how sad you must feel right now. It’s always harder for the ones left behind. I’m sure your boy had the best life and was lucky to have a loving family - what more could a dog ask for?

Time like always will be a healer x

6. Whippylove

Whippylove Well-Known Member Registered

Sorry for your loss x
    I lost my boy over a year ago and still find it difficult without him, it gets easier the hurting but you'll always have your moments thats because we love them so much. I have his ashes kept in an urn next to my other dog that passed, he will be laid to rest with me when i go. I also made a book filled with his photos to keep so i can remember the good times.
    Sending you hugs x

7. Caro Perry

Caro Perry Well-Known Member Registered

I am so sorry. Every time I have lost a pet I have sworn that never again will I lay myself open to the heartbreak. But I do. The pain gets easier but I still miss them although the happy memories now predominate. It was months before I stopped holding doors open for my last Welshie after he died.

Jack-Russell-Lover likes this.
  8. Rhythmpig

Rhythmpig Member Registered

It's sad when you loose one,I lost my boy back in January. I was heartbroken,which is putting mildly.....but....I sit back and think that I've given all my dogs and bloody good life and they have given to me as much as I have given to them. So I take comfort in knowing they had a happy life...and we can't say that about every dog.

9. millymojo1

millymojo1 Member Registered

I have my girl’s ashes in a box next to me on my bedside table. She slept with me every night while she was alive and still does even now she’s not here.
    I lost her not long after the huge loss of my beloved pony and father, so three huge losses in a short space of time.
    I didn’t intend to get another dog for a while. Thought I might enjoy a good holiday now I didn’t have a dog and sick pony to worry about. But within three weeks, Taz - the dog I have now - unexpectedly bounced into my life and turned it upside down with her manic energy. She was such hard work, it took my mind off my losses quite a lot. So although at the time I was pulling my hair out, 4 years later, I can now see it was probably - for me - the best thing to have happened.