The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Do I Help My Dog To Stack/stand

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This topic is now open for anyone to contribute to.

If you know of any old threads which have covered this in particularly helpful detail then send me the links and I'll add them in :cheers:

:)

link to previous topic

Last edited by a moderator:
heres a few things ive always done. basic stuff but worked for me :- " Front legs shoulder width apart and vertical (downways not up... in which case check your dog for a pulse :( ) Back legs hip-width apart and positioned as to show back pasterns (wrists) to also be vertical. tail untouched. head held with chin horizontal. and should you have a lead on your dog make sure its under the chin and not like a lasso around the neck. I find this shows a dogs physique off to its maximum despite it being stood still.

j :thumbsup: hn

Thanks Handbag :D you make it sound soooooooooooooooooo easy !! Your next challenge is to make Smallboy to do it! (w00t)

Practice in front of a mirror, you then see what the judge see's.

Start expecting them to stand real early.... use a little food and a command, dont laugh but my command is stand nicely, and yes I do use this in the show ring, lol..

Ripley at 5 weeks

Choice5.jpg

Ripley at 12 weeks

12wksrip.jpg

Short sessions, every few days, small tit bits of food and a command, little and often, I can get mine to stand like statues now, move the feet back forth or sideways, they will just stand fixated almost on the reward t come, lol... I do not always use food now most times they just get lots of love.

I prefer to free stand mine mind you as I feel when i fiddle with them too much they look very awkward.

Ripley all grown up practising for a show.

Stand.jpg

Edited to add that digital cameras are great, get someone, to take a picture of the dog once stacked, give you a good idea of what the judge sees, delete the pics once your done!

041.jpg

This is one of my dogs Trent, I am really lucky he has a natural show stance and doesn't need much positioning, :teehee: but what Stormy said is the same way i do it. :thumbsup: Diane.

Hope this picture works?????? (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back