The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How do you secure your garden for dog

hollysh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Bit concerned about the security of my garden for dogs. Just started boarding dogs. I've had Labradors and they've been fine. I have a main gate. And most of the garden has high walls around as its a downstairs flat but at the end there are steps leading up to the gate. The gate isn't to the floor and there's small holes in it, so worried about smaller dogs getting through. How can I secure the top end of the garden cheaply? I need to get some sort of barrier. I think would be best at the bottom of the stairs before they reach them. Any recommendations welcome. I think will need to search some DIY stores for inspiration.

Thanks

Holly

Last edited by a moderator:
Boarding someone else's dogs, I would have a very securely fenced garden. I would suggest that you have it professionally fenced and secured!

Phew!

Its a downstairs flat. Most of it has a large wall around of it. Its just the bit at the bottom with the steps leading up to the gate. Just needs something to cover past the steps I think. Or maybe a dog guard. But I've never really looked into getting any kind of barrier before. Maybe some sort of wire or mesh playpen etc. I was thinking.

Thank you that's a thought :) I think I need to explore some DIY stores.

Yes, or chicken wire?

Are you insured? The very least a home boarder should offer is top notch security.

When securing dogs there should always be two gates before reaching the outside. This means that you open one gate, enter an enclosed area, close the gate behind you, then open the next gate to get out. This prevents the dog from escaping through someone's legs as they open the gate.

With home boarding, care also has to be taken at the front door of the property if it leads straight to the street. Dogs can easily slip through legs and escape. They do not know where they are so will get completely lost.

I would also have a temporary collar with tag containing your name and details.

Thanks. Yes very recently licenced. Just getting to grips with it all :) Thanks for your advice.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back