The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How do you show you whippet?

Florence

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I like to hear you show people how you show you whippet in the ring.

I have notice some run with their whippet in the ring and other walk fast in the ring.

I have been told that my whippet look best when I walk fast, but I like to hear what you other show-people do with you whippet, and also why?

Florence

The Missing Link's Whippet

I'm VERY new to this, so I'm just sharing my own experience with my one whippet in the ring.  Savvy (Savannah aka Aphrael Aoife) is a really bad puller on her regular lead, but she has 'twigged' that on the show lead and in the ring or on mats she is to 'behave' and 'walk nice'.  However she has her moments LOL.  We started off slow as anything faster seemed to encourage her to run.  Now that she has gained confidence I try to walk fast, but let her set the pace and I try to keep up with her rather than the other way round.  However if I were to run she would take that as permission to REALLY run and it would spoil the way she looked (mostly becuase I'd be tugging her back LOL).  So we have finally found a good 'walking fast' gait that suits her and me perfectly and tend to stay away from running.

Wendy

Finding the right pace does help the dog in the ring.  If you go too slowly a dog with a good stride may not show itself off as well as it might, but going too fast makes the whippet scramble to keep up.

I find usually, as Wendy says, that the whippet will let you know what his/her best pace is. If you are not sure, it often helps to get someone to watch you walking the dog on a show lead, trying different speeds until you find the one that is best for that particular dog - and every whippet is different. For instance I need to run to keep up with my dog, while my veteran needs a steady walk.  My puppy, on the other hand finds it hard enough to concentrate at all - I've yet to find what is best for her.  (We're still working at going round the ring on 4 feet, not 2! :)  )

Vanna - I hear you with the four feet thing!!

Wendy,

I thought your girl looked vey composed at the SWWC!

AWw thanks:)  That was one of her better days.  She CAN do so well when she wants to, but I never know until I'm in the ring what kind of mood she's going to be in:)  One of our very first shows, and the show we met up with Dawn (our breeder) and her sire's owners she did 2 legs round the whole ring!!  I felt like they all must have regretted letting such a novice handle this pup!  Your girl was lovely!  I love her markings.

LOL - on a different note, just had a glance over at Savannah and she's sulking at the moment.  She's heard Hari and What have come in season and I'm making her wear her whippet panties to get her used to them in case she comes in too.  Not a happy camper.

Wendy

Where do I start, I want to show my pups they are five months, what sould I be doing now, and where/who can I ask for help ??? Thanks

They were purchased this Jan from Patsy Gimour, two boys. Fawn with White trim and fawn White parti Peter and Smartie

Hi Shane

Welcome to the forum.

You should find a training club in your area and take the pups there, where you  should be shown how to stack and move them.

You could go along to a few shows and have a look at the whippets shown there I am sure if you talk to some of the whippet exhibitors they will be more than willing to answer your questions.

If you have a look on our home page there is a page on there about where to begin and what you should be doing.

If there is anything we can help you with please ask.

Good luck and do come and speak to us if you are at any of the shows we are at.

Thanks Dawn, at least I can now make a start, I hope to get to crufts this weekend and have a look at the whippets.

Shane

Hi Shane

Come and look us up at Crufts.  Unforunatley we will not be showing as the girls have both decided to come in season, but will be round the whippet ring or our bench.  Our dogs entered are the ones with the unpronouncable names LOL

Dawn

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back