The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How many different animals have you owned?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Reecedouglas1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New Member Registered

As in types of animals

For me

Just Dogs(2)

2. Kayak

Kayak Active Member Registered

In my life, 12 dogs, 1 ferret, loads of cats (I remember 8), rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, geese, budgies, rats, hamsters and fish; lizards, 4 snakes, one jackdaw? Just until he was old enough to be released. Had loads. Dogs are my favourite, ferrets actually a close second lol.

I currently just have 1 dog and 1 snake and it’s a lot more peaceful!

Flobo likes this.
  3. Kara 1

Kara 1 Well-Known Member Registered

12 dogs , lots of cats , rabbits ,guniea pigs, hamsters , gerbils , chickens, bantams, goats , horses and ponies ...we have always been a multiple dog household .As a child i was lucky that my mum let us have allsorts of pets .
    We have 5 dogs and 3 guniea pigs now

4. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

As a child, 2 family dogs, a couple of hamsters and a budgie. As an adult, one dog, three cats, a hamster, four rats, two guinea pigs and two gerbils.

5. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

As a child , every stray dog that needed a home. Rabbits a couple of guinea pigs and my white hamsters, a cat called George who was as daft as a brush and a cat called Suki who was fierce and only let me touch her.
    As an adult 8 dogs have had homes with us, 3 cats, a hamster called Harry and not mine but I 'discovered' a chameleon living in my daughters bedroom one day..
    Currently just one African grey Parrot called Basil and Murphy.

6. Whippylove

Whippylove Well-Known Member Registered

I've had dogs, cats,horses, rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters, finches, lots of tropical fish, inverts and rats.

7. Mayblossom

Mayblossom Well-Known Member Registered

Dogs, cats, budgies, hamsters, guinea pigs, tropical fish, koi, donkeys and ponies !

8. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

Dogs, cats, a rabbit, hamster, budgie, gerbils, rats, triops, locusts, ferrets and a snake... currently 1 dog Jake, 2 ferrets Winnie and Sid and Candy Cornflake the cornsnake!

Whippylove likes this.
  9. Whippylove

@Flobo we keep rats but my husband has been wanting ferrets for a while but I'm not sure lol any tips?

10. Caro Perry

Caro Perry Well-Known Member Registered

Dogs, cats, hamsters, mice, goldfish, tropical fish, a budgie and a mynah bird.

Now just one dog and one cat.

11. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

As a child three cats, a dog and two budgies and two goldfish...and then over the years, seven dogs, three horses and a Shetland pony. Now down to two dogs...and a Shetland pony.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  12. Edie

Edie Member Registered

As i child we had fish, budgie and a dog as an adult we've had 5 cats, 2 dogs, oh, and a stick insect which multiplied and gold fish, unfortunately, the cat ate one of these.

13. Teddy560

Teddy560 Well-Known Member Registered

I want a shetland pony :(

merlina likes this.
  14. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

How much time do U have, LOL?...
    My 1st pet [i was 4-YO] was a Rhode Island Red hen; i also lived with 2 Siamese queens [& briefly with their kittens] & an Oriental tomcat, plus an opaline parakeet.

Next was a maltese kitten, dumped on our farm by unknown persons. // She gave birth to several litters, the survivors included a tom who weighed 20# as an adult, an 8# dotter who died at 9-MO [dog attack], & a 9# dotter - all bigger than Smokey, who never weighed more than 7# [unless she was in the last trimester].

Then a F Beagle, a F box turtle, a pony [Cotton, gelding],
    a large number of snakes who stayed only a summer with me [caught, kept, & released in late summer where i’d caught them],
    a male crossbred dog [GSD x Keeshond],
    wildlife of many species who were injured, ill, or orphaned,
    2 heifer calves [mine died of bloat at 7-MO; my sister’s was sold at 18-MO],
    our sheep flock [I was shepherd & midwife],
    another pony, a horse, a Betta splendens [M, for 3 years],
    a Dutch dwarf bunny [housetrained, in my college dorm room],
    a black ratsnake, a cockatiel hen, a cockatiel cock, a GSD,
    a lovebird hen [Nasty], a Bluetick Coonhound [bitch pup],
    a LHD cat [Butterscotch], a pair of B&T rabbits,
    an African timneh, a Blue-front Amazon, a salmon-bellied snake, an iguana,
    a Tres Marias Amazon, a Norway Dwarf rabbit & her Guinea pig pal,
    3 parakeets,
    a long-haired mackerel tabby [rescued from a pet shop],
    an umbrella cockatoo, a POA mare, 3 dogs over 10 years
    [the 1st 2 were kidnapped by my ex-fiancee],
    5 bantam hens, an amelanistic Cornsnake [Candy Corn],
    a Texas ratsnake, 2 box turtles, a leucistic ratsnake, 3 pheasants...

That doesn’t include the many dogs, cats, kittens & pups I’ve fostered & / or trained.
    But i think i managed to list all my personal pets - if i left any out, i’ll put ‘em in a later post. :D

- terry

15. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

@Whippylove, I had my 7 rats before I adopted the ferrets, I wouldn't recommend getting them at the same time as your rats will not be thanking you!! Ferrets are total carnivores and could predate on critters like mice and rats...
    I moved on to ferrets as the rats kept breaking my heart with their shorter life span, ferrets can live between 7 and 12 years, still break your heart but potentially not every few months,(my rats were all around 18 months when I adopted them...) But yes, ferrets are great, pretty easy to look after, as much as they love their play time they love their sleep also, the only animal I have kept that will climb up your back to get back in the cage to go to bed!! Mine eat raw meat, pinkies and a small amount of kibble, they use a littertray, mostly, and they are very inquisitive and love to play and they don't chew stuff, though they do pinch things and have stashes:D I could go on and on but I need to get my dogs out for a run!Any specific info you want just ask;)

Whippylove likes this.
  16. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Teddy560 our Shetland is a rescue, probably older than the Queen in horse years- certainly grumpier than the Duke of Edinburgh!

17. poptart

poptart Member Registered

Over the years I've owned a guinea pig, a cat, a rabbit and three dogs.

18. Whippylove

@Flobo thanks, we aren't planning on getting any at the moment its something we're considering when our rats aren't with us. Its exactly the same reason why my husband wants ferrets because of the short life span off the rats it's to upsetting. Thanks for the info really helpful. I take it that ferrets like their own company?

19. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

Oops, yup, forgot some:
    3 ferrets [a jack & 2 jills, all dark “mink”] & 2 rats - a sable-tipped fawn F, & a black hooded M.

Re ferrets, IME, they really enjoy & prefer another ferret as a playmate, but they can also make friends with dogs & cats, so long as the cat or dog is able to recognize them as ‘family’ & not to be chased or attacked.
    The war dance games of ferrets are hysterical to watch - just don’t let them loose in a room with PIPE or CABLE runs that are open! - they’ll be into the walls or crawl spaces, in a heartbeat. :eek:

Tip
    Expanding foam, such as “Great Stuff!”, is a safe, nontoxic way to close pipe, cable, & other small openings that hold enormous allure for ferrets. ;). Be aware it’s exothermic / the reaction produces heat, & is not suitable for materials that cannot handle the blast of warmth [low-temp plastics, etc]. Wood, stone, plaster, beaverboard, tile, metal, are all fine.

Openings in meltable materials can be closed by stuffing them firmly with fine steel wool [000 or more fineness].

- terry

Whippylove and Flobo like this.
  20. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

I cuddled a ferret at a country fair once and though I love them, he stank to high heaven and I had to change my jumper as soon as I got home. I have heard that they can be whiffy - would this be mainly entire males, and can you expect to have a distinct odour if they live indoors?