The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How many different animals have you owned?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Reecedouglas1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

Both sexes in ferrets are funky, & neutering does reduce it - U really cannot keep an intact M ferret as an indoor pet, the oily fug gets into every soft surface over time, as the odor is airborne & highly resistant to removal. :(

Even neutered ferrets have stinky pee & poop - keeping the litter box clean by removing stools promptly every day [as U would for a cat], plus using a safe clumping litter to “grab” urine, & WASHING both the litter box & the ferrets themselves, is required.
    Ferrets toilet in CORNERS, so their litter boxes are triangular - they also need a high “inside corner”, as they like to hike their bums up, so the walls of the litter box must rise to the corner, & slope down the wall. Deeper is always better, as that allows for more litter depth & less risk of poop or pee going over the edge. ;)

I bathed my neutered ferrets at least every 2 weeks with a mild shampoo [SLS free, no “dandruff” removal or flea-killing stuff, plain organic shampoo]. It doesn’t take long, they are only 15 to 20” long tubes of short smooth hair. ;—D
    If they got funky in between by rolling or laying in the litter box, I just moved the bath schedule up. :)

I also washed their cloth furnishings - hammock, tunnel, etc - weekly, all together in a large lingerie bag, or individually, each in pillowcases.

Like cats, NEVER use “Pine-Sol” or other strongly-scented toxic cleaners around ferrets; Method all-surface cleaners are safe & nontoxic, organic options, & 7th Generation is another safe, environmentally clean brand.
    Even the litter box or the cage should never be cleaned with Pine-Sol, Lysol, chlorine bleach, or other toxic choices. // Hot water & ordinary dish detergent is also safe, if cost is a problem.

- terry

Whippylove and JudyN like this.
  2. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

Mine are indoor ferrets, have always had a pair or 3 together, 2 females and a male, or 2 females. Un neutered males will be more wiffy for sure, I would like to say mine don't smell even though they are all done, but I'm sure people coming to my house will say otherwise!:D, the smell they do have is quite musky and is really, really nice... to me:rolleyes:! I clean mine out twice a day while they are playing and regularly change the bedding, so it does keep the smell down a bit, I think...
    And as @lfl says you do have to ferret proof your house as they will get into small spaces you wouldn't imagine possible and can climb, I was told if the head fits the rest of the body will too! I don't bath mine though but they do like snorkling in their water bowl, that's as wet as they get!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    leashedForLife, Whippylove and JudyN like this.
  3. Whippylove

Whippylove Well-Known Member Registered

Thanks for all the information. They sound fun! So if I get a Male I should neuter him? And would it be better for him to have female company? :)

4. Nanny71

Nanny71 Well-Known Member Registered

Cats, dogs, horses, guinea pigs, chickens, mice, rat, gerbils, budgerigars and a kestrel.Never ferrets.

leashedForLife likes this.
  5. Flobo

@Whippylove , yes I would definitely neuter a male and females need to be spayed (if you are not breeding obviously)as they go into an extended season if not mated and get really sick and die, I know that sounds dramatic but it is pretty awful:( (aplastic anemia). As for combinations if you are getting rescues it is better to get already paired or if not possible I've always taken my ferrets to meet a new one to see if they get on, they are like any animal, or person, some you like some you don't and if you are asking them to live together you want them to love each others company, so any combination could work if the ferrets are happy:)

leashedForLife and Whippylove like this.
  6. Whippylove

Whippylove Well-Known Member Registered

7. Flobo

Last comment about ferrets, I promise, I know this is a dog forum:oops:! But if you want to have a look my daughter has an instagram account for ours, it's at ferret_floof just don't ask me how to do it because I have no idea!!:D

leashedForLife likes this.