The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How many have dogs that never come off lead?

Mum of Ted

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering ....Teddy's recall is hit and miss, he was amazing until about 8 months old when he suddenly forgot all we'd taught..we've got long lines and on walks we get him to check in ' Teddy come' and he's fine..but other dogs about and he totally ignores...even if I have his favourite treat 'cheese'. I make myself exciting and praise loads when he does it in a low distraction environment but once he sees other dogs he just can't listen. So, we use a shorter long line and let it go when we feel he is in a safe environment and we never just walk with him, always have a squeaky ball or a clam to throw..I feel sad that he never comes completely off but then I know he will run up to other dogs even if they are loose I don't want him to do that and especially not if they are on a lead.
Whe its just us he listens but introduce the slightest of something else he's gone. He needs distracting when walking past other dogs as he can sometimes bark or pull towards them...we manage this by keeping the lead loose, harder than it sounds, but then once he's clocked the other dog I say 'goodboy' and give a treat whilst carrying on walking.
Any comments welcome

He's still young, and it sounds like he's doing well and you're doing the right things. Maybe you could find an enclosed field where he could go off lead, occasionally? Or maybe an open area with good visibility, at a time of day when few others will be walking their dogs?

But if he's enjoying his walks and isn't showing (too many) signs of frustration, I really wouldn't worry. Plenty of dogs have to stay on lead and are perfectly happy. Yes, it'd be nice if all dogs could go off lead and do their own thing, but not if 'their own thing' is running up to dogs and people that really wouldn't appreciate it. With all your hard work, when Ted is a little more mature I'm sure he'll be a model citizen :)

Thankyou, I have dog mum guilt! Only yesterday he was in a private dog field that you can hire for an hr at a time... with a buddy and he had a great time so that's always available and local.

Perfect! A private field is a great place to keep practicing the recall too, as well as having fun. It will come, as Judy says he is still young.

Some of my dogs have never been off lead and they still absolutely love their walks, it's just slightly different to what we envisage a dog walk should be.(But to be fair mine have a variety of issues so we have to improvise!😊)

We have to deal with things the way they are, not always the way we would like them to be. You are keeping your dog safe and avoiding him making other dogs/owners feel unsafe. You are doing well!

Our rescue, Rusty, is an on-lead dog. He has zero recall. We take him to a secure filed now and again for a run around. I know he'd love to run and play with other dogs in public fields, I also know he won't come back! He also has little road sense, and would think nothing of crossing a busy road. Our previous rescue, Jimmy, was the same and we spent hundreds (nearly thousands!) on training which didn't work - had success in a staged setting but not in public. I wonder if it's a rescue thing where dogs have had to fend for themselves and be independent and so are less inclined to follow training. Anyway, he has a great life and wants for nothing.

Our rescue, Rusty, is an on-lead dog. He has zero recall. We take him to a secure filed now and again for a run around. I know he'd love to run and play with other dogs in public fields, I also know he won't come back! He also has little road sense, and would think nothing of crossing a busy road. Our previous rescue, Jimmy, was the same and we spent hundreds (nearly thousands!) on training which didn't work - had success in a staged setting but not in public. I wonder if it's a rescue thing where dogs have had to fend for themselves and be independent and so are less inclined to follow training. Anyway, he has a great life a

I think it's easy to feel like you've failed as a dog owner these days. But today as I walked Ted at 6am away from the heat weve been having, we had a lovely forest walk where he sniffed loads and I stopped whenever he wanted to because it's his walk, not mine! He found a puddle from absolutely nowhere and had fun dipping his head under the muddy water...later in the garden he's enjoyed a hose pipe play and got drenched over and over...had the zoomies with his squeaky ball and had cuddles galore....he is loved 😍

I think it's easy to feel like you've failed as a dog owner these days.
To me someone who has failed or is failing their dog is the person that just lets their dog off lead then walks around on their phone, has zero interaction, zero awareness of what their dog is doing or who's approaching, not even noticing when they poop... actually there are many examples, people that jog/run with brachycephalic breeds, people that sit in the shade whilst throwing a ball for their dog into the blazing heat of the day, over and over...I won't go on! You are definitely not failing Ted, it sounds to me like you have a wonderful relationship and are being incredibly mindful of his needs and of others around you, quite perfect imho!😊

To me someone who has failed or is failing their dog is the person that just lets their dog off lead then walks around on their phone, has zero interaction, zero awareness of what their dog is doing or who's approaching, not even noticing when they poop... actually there are many examples, people that jog/run with brachycephalic breeds, people that sit in the shade whilst throwing a ball for their dog into the blazing heat of the day, over and over...I won't go on! You are definitely not failing Ted, it sounds to me like you have a wonderful relationship and are being incredibly mindful of his needs and of others around you, quite perfect imho!😊
Sadly a lot of that is common place now :-(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back