The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Much Does Your Whippet Eat ?

natty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi i posted the other day abouty chrissys strange eating habits and following that post i moved her back on to this food called masters choice its a meat one looks like a sausage each sausage is 800g she has eaten a whole one every day , not all at once obviously but divided between 3 or 4 meals each day.

I didnt think much of it till i looked on the packageing and it reccomended 1 pack a day for a dog over 25kg chrissy weighs 6 kg .

so how much do your whippets eat ?

Mines a whippetx greyhound and is only 14 weeks old (and weighs 7.12 kilos) but she could and quite easiely would (if I let her) EAT EVERYTHING I put down for her and Inca (3 year old lurcher) :blink: :eek:

Inca never ate that much as a pup and can take or leave her food now...ifs she's that way out :teehee:

I'm trying to found out if Dippy is actually hungry or just been greedy (w00t)

How old is Chrissy??

thats a awful lot of food for a little dog.

mine are on mostly raw food which i will give them 2 chicken wings per meal or raw mince mixed with a small amount of bakers, they get 2 meals per day,plus a pigs ear as a treat on some days.

my whippets are fully grown one is 17kg and the other is 21kg.

how old is your dog.

is she on steroids at all because that can boost their appetite too.

Last edited by a moderator:
natty said:
Hi i posted the other day abouty chrissys strange eating habits and following that post i moved her back on to this food called masters choice its a meat one looks like a sausage each sausage is 800g she has eaten a whole one every day , not all at once obviously but divided between 3 or 4 meals each day.I didnt think much of it till i looked on the packageing and it reccomended 1 pack a day for a dog over 25kg chrissy weighs 6 kg .

so how much do your whippets eat ?

Think I have used this food myself & if its the same thing, I thought it seemed to have quite a high water content. Also it seemed to be a bit too 'processed' for my liking so I gave it up in the end. My dog is a bit of a weird eater sometimes, she will quite often eat next to nothing for a day or two & then wolf everything she can possibly find. Dosent seen to have any ill effects thankfully.

:oops: sorry pressed the submit button twice

shes 13 and not on any steroids.

boothross i agree about the food but it seems to suit her in as much as she will eat it well and it doesnt give her a runny tummy whereas some of the tinned meats do.

If it agrees with her and she likes it, feed it!! At her age I would feed her how much she wants.

Are you sure she only weighs 6kg??? That sounds awfully underweight for a full grown bitch

dessie said:
If it agrees with her and she likes it, feed it!!  At her age I would feed her how much she wants.
Yeah I agree, shes got a great appetite for that age, so carry on as you are.

well i havent weighed her myself , thats the weight the vet told me last time he weighed her , she isnt underweight from the looks of her but she is a non pedigree racing whippet and is much smaller and lighter built than the regular whippets that we see on our walks.

6 kilos is less than a stone. Surely a whippet must be heavier than that?

Well, that is what I would have thought, even for a smaller lighter racing dog. My show bred bitches go about 11 kg.

Cathrine said:
6 kilos is less than a stone. Surely a whippet must be heavier than that?
Is she a petite sort of whip Natty? Mine is 17 inches and is only 8 kilos but she looks very well covered & is fairly muscular. have u got any pics?

Ah I have just read your post from last week, praps her pre existing medical conditions are contributing to her weight & appetitie. Let us kno how she gos on.

Ok just weighted her shes 12.2kg, she cant possibly have doubled her weight the vets scales must have been wrong or i rembered it wrong.

Image006.jpg

:oops: i went and changed the size of the picture but i cant delete this one to put the smaller one up :(

natty said:
:oops: i went and changed the size of the picture but i cant delete this one to put the smaller one up :(
:D Never mind it happened to us all at one time or another. But if you go back immediately (click on edit) you should be able to delete.

To decide how much to feed I just look at the dog's tummy and the amount of food I am feeding, and try to give what looks as if it will nicely fill their stomach, allowing for some expansion in stuff like dry food.

I buy the large sausage thing occasionally, when i have no time to get our usual fresh meat or cannot get it. My dogs love it, but it lasts them several days. I fed it almost exclusively couple of years ago when i broke my arm and that was the easiest way at least in the beginning, when I was not able to drive too far. I used to cut it in about 1" slices and give one slice per dog per feed, and that was enough to keep them in lovely condition (they also got handful of dry food in the evening). But it seems to me that it is compressed and quite filling.

I would be concerned that Chrissy at her age would start putting on too much weight if fed so much on regular bases.

natty said:
shes 13 and not on any steroids.boothross i agree about the food but it seems to suit her in as much as she will eat it well and it doesnt give her a runny tummy whereas some of the tinned meats do.

Hi Natty it looks like you have found a food that agrees with Chissy at last and thats the main thing. It has got a high water content, very bland and ideal for ill or older dogs. If it looks like she is starting to gain weight to fast on a whole sausage a day, slowley cut it down and add alittle softened dog meal, just soak the meal for a few minutes in plain warm water. or try a puppy small bite meal to mix with it.

Her old racing pal Josie sends a :huggles:

From the photos I saw last I dont think Chissy is either over weight or under

natty said:
Ok just weighted her shes 12.2kg, she cant possibly have doubled her weight the vets scales must have been wrong or i rembered it wrong.
Image006.jpg

Phew! that sounds more like it!!! LOL! As I said before, if the food suits her, feed it to her and go by her condition as to how much or how little you give her.

Still on the subject of old dogs, I took my old black boy, Dante, with us when Coco went for her monthly check-up with vitnary yesterday because I am concerned he seemed to be losing weight. She gave him a thorough going over and although she agreed with me that he looks 'poor' he hasn't actually lost any weight, just condition. Without doing bloods or x-rays she couldn't find an explanation as everything seems OK. As he is well in himself I declined further tests!!

He is getting quite faddy with his food, especially if I add anything to it. Anyone got any suggestions for a conditioner that is EXTREMELY palatable???

4.JPG

Hi all

My whip dog is 7yrs and eats everything and anything he weighs 16kg, but the girls stand over him while he lays down to eat -lazy boy. But i love him :huggles: He even sings for his food - well barks and runs backwards and forwards to the kitchen wagging his tail. Very clever knows words like dinner, walk and bed!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back