The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How rude over food

Ash2021

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am fuming

I have a 16 week pup, for training treats I am only using the kibble. I have added carrot to her diet as a treat, so she gets half mid morning and again late afternoon between her 4 feeds

we went out Sunday afternoon stopped for a drink in the pub garden, that was lovely and she had a play with another pup. They left and we sat down with our drinks etc.
The fuming part - another customer just came up to her and fed her smachcos with out even asking, ooo yes she loved it - but it has taken me until this morning to get her motion solid again

other people have asked if they can give her a bit of sausage, treat etc and I have always thanked them but asked them not to give her anything which they have respected

I actually think there should be a law against giving someone else's dog a treat without permission - seeing as some people are too stupid to realise it's common courtesy. For some dogs it can be very harmful. And of course it reinforces mugging for treats, which many people understandably don't appreciate.

How infuriating! Now you know it's likely to happen, you can be firmer with people. I have never let anyone outside family give food to my dogs - the last thing I want is for them to go up to other people. But you have to be very assertive with some folk.

Oh that is rude indeed and would it happen to us, it would drive me mad. At least folk should have decency to ask if it is ok before giving something. I wonder if there is some sort of sticky signs to put on lead/harness 'ask before you treat my dog' etc?

If you wanted to, if someone asks you could tell them your dog has a sensitive tummy but offer them some of your own food to give her.

That’s definitely not on. Should your child be in a playground with other children how acceptable would it be for a stranger, albeit a parent, to offer sweets to them? It’s about time social boundaries were respected. Don’t be afraid to be firm.

And don't forget - you do not need to explain. It's quite enough to refuse.
This - I heard a good mnemonic recently; JADE.

No need to Justify, Argue, Defend or Explain.

Your dog, your rules - don't give them anything to ”yes, but” you with.

Yes I know what you mean, some people don't realise/are thoughtless and think you are being rude saying no... I learned a long time ago that I can't do anything at all about other people and what they do, but I can do something about me and how I train my dogs....

Years ago while showing at a very high level show several dogs were poisoned when investigated all had been given treats by a 'stranger' thankfully not killed but certainly very unwell and a couple of years later again ( after) showing many of us took the dogs onto the local beach and a friends dogs picked up and ate something off the beach, within hours they were being sick, rushed to the vets but he lost 3 of his 4 dogs

So........I do not like or want ANYONE giving my dogs ANY treats, nor do I want my dogs picking up things off the floor/pavement ...so I trained them not to accept anything nor pick up 'treats' and that is easy training, they do not 'take it' until I command 'take it' that way I am in control of what my dogs have and I can just say "they are very fussy aout anything" without offending people.... or them offending me

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back