The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How to help soothe the itch

Alchiepoo135

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog has an allergy, he's a blue staffy. To what we don't know. The vets gave me to put on him what looks like flea drops, just a bit bigger. He hasn't got fleas though. I'm hoping what I've been given does the trick, but for the mean time how do I help soothe the itch? He's lost most his fur on his underneath and neck. And is even forming loads of little scabs. He's so itchy bless his heart. Help!

That doesn't sound good at all bless him.

When mine had a bad rash the vet prescribed steroids and piriton (the dog version) and I was bathing him bicarbonate of soda dissolved in warm water and bathing the itching bits to sooth the itch, as he was jumping round like a gazel the poor thing, but it wasn't to the point where he was losing his fur like yours. Your poor little guy!

you can also bath him in a cool bath as it should just cool his skin down with him being so itchy.

Sudocrem is another good one. I was recommended it from others on here as it is an antiseptic cream and there is something else in it that soothes the itch.

if you can pop a cone on your pooch so he doesn't lick it off and to stop him biting and scratching round his neck if you are able.

Sorry I cant help anymore, and I hope he gets better soon.

Sophie x

It sounds like he's a very itchy boy :(

I'd go with a Piriton daily as a start too. What you need is chlorphenamine/chlorpheniramine (same molecule, 2 different naming protocols) which is the agent in good old Piriton, not Piritease or Piri-anything else. The dose for a dog that's staffy size is either half a human pill or a full pill daily. Please don't tell the pharmacist that it's for your dog or they will refuse to sell it to you ;)

Malaseb shampoo is very calming for a weekly bath, but a very safe old skin soother is a tied top stocking with a cup of oatmeal or rolled oats in it, soaked in the bathing water. The oat mucilage is very calming and completely non-toxic (although it's not recommended to eat the stocking!) and can be used any number of times a week as needed.

You may find that he copes with a cone to prevent him scratching, but that may still allow his back legs to scratch, so you may have to consider some light boots to reduce his ability to damage with his back feet too.

As far as the allergy goes, it could be anything from something in his food to grass pollen or seeds, so it's likely to take some time to work out what is causing it. if the rash is in the pattern of all of the lower surface that come into contact with wherever he's going out then it would be a good start to trying to work out whether that is a cause if you were to hose him down and dry him after every walk, or change where you walk temporarily to see if that reduces the rash.

Good luck :)

Sudocrem is good and will help, but the other thing ive found amazing is coconut butter!! the raw unrefined stuff. Rub it between your hands to melt it and then massaged into his skin..you will only need a tiny amount and his skin and fur wont stay greasy...apply it a few times a day ;)

What type of food are you using ?

Our modern day convenient kibbles are causing an awfull lot of allergy problems.

Before wasting a lot of hard earnt money at the vets, do consider changing your food to a totally grain free (this includes rice ! ) brand or try raw feeding.

You may well be surprised in the outcome, it may not happen instantly but give it a few weeks and you may well notice a big difference in the scratching.

Too much washing and bathing washes out our dogs natural greases but just a wash in plain warm water with nothing added may help.

Hi I also have a staffy with skin and gastro allergies.. We have used antihistamines for years with success.. Food can also play a large role in allergies.. A lot of the time dogs are allergic to the additives and preservatives in dog food.. We switched to a frozen raw dog food to cut out artificial processing and preservatives called nutriment and our dog has never been healthier.. Her skin and coat is lovely and her stomach problems now seem to be non existent.. She wasn't able to eat any treats previously and now she can.. But remember if you are changing to a natural diet free from preservatives and artificial additives them the treats you feed must be too.. We have just opened up a website selling only natural treats for dogs.. These are all perfect for our allergic dog and have caused no problems.. http://www.naturaldogz.co.uk.. That is the web address incase you want to have a look ..

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back