The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How to stop a dog mounting our legs.

Westham

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi just homed a rescue dog whose started leg humping. I think it showing off as it's only when we have guests or family members around. He gets 4 walks a day plus ball chasing out the garden and rope tugging. He has a good diet and the run of the house. I need to try and deal with this as I am getting concerned about visitors. Or last bitch was very good but I know he is just adjusting to us and home life as he had been kennelled for 2 yrs prior. He is sociable with other dogs doesn't bark when barked at and is generally very good otherwise. I have tried 'no' then Sit and even removing the dog for a few minutes but when he returns he sneakily tries humping again.

The best way to stop an unwanted behaviour is get the dog to do something else instead. The "something else" should then be rewarded so that it is more rewarding than the attention he gets for leg humping.

You could try teaching him a "settle" command. This is where the dog learns to lie down somewhere convenient. Start with two seconds of lying down with a treat on his nose. Extend to several more seconds each time until he can do 30 seconds or more and seems to have got the idea that lying down gets him a treat if he keeps still. Gradually remove the treat from his nose but keep it handy to give to him BEFORE he moves. Extend the time he lays there waiting for his treat until he can do it for quite a long time. Move him all over the house so that he knows that lying down or "settle" gets him a treat.

It will be very difficult when you try to do it in front of visitors because you will have to divide your concentration between his training and being polite to your visitors. You may need to go back to luring with the treat on his nose again to start with. It may take weeks or even months for him to forget about leg humping. If he manages to get to them and hump legs try not to get too excited about it just calmly take his collar and get him to lie down for lots of lovely treats again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back