The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How To Train Lurcher Puppy To Stop Chasing Cat?

CarolineKeithmoore

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello folks,

any advice out there on how to train our puppy not to chase our cat? She's nearly 5 months and a whippet x standard poodle.

We've had her from 8 weeks old, and we've had the cat ( a two and a half year old maine coone cross) since the puppy was about 11 weeks old. The puppy successfully restrains herself in very limited conditions, ie. in the evening when she is tired, and when the cat is positioned somewhere where she stays put and doesn't retreat (i.e. a chair). In this situation, the puppy hassles the cat for a minute, then goes and sits down. If the cat runs, she chases! We usually try to grab her on the way past if we can, to stop her, but can't always get her in time.

We've mainly tried taking her downstairs (i.e. in isolation) if she goes mental and barks or won't leave the cat alone, and treating and praising her if she leaves the cat alone. We stopped being totally hard line about isolating her when she chased the cat, because we thought it might be best if she had an experience of the cat standing up for herself, and we thought they needed contact to get used to eachother. On the other hand, we keep them separate most of the time (with a dog gate keeping the puppy in the kitchen) because the cat needs a break! But it's getting quite frustrating and we'd love to hear from those of you who have said that your puppies soon learned not to chase your cats, how you did it?!?! :b

Thanks a lot for any stories of success/tips....thanks, Caroline and Keith

You need to let your cat teach the pup a lesson. Keeping them apart will only make it worse. I have had cats and whippets live together with no chasing for years, until we moved here. The dogs soon learn to respect a hissing prickley cat.

Mine would all pile the the same bed.

hi i agree with ann your puppy needs to have a claw across her nose she will soon learn that cats are not the best thing to chase ;)

i have a 10 week old whippet that is learning very rapidly the cats are not fair game although it is taking a while to sink in :sweating:

in time they will be fine but it will take time your puppy is still young good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
:D hi i have 2 main coone cats and ive 2 pups at the minute who enjoy a little chase till the cats get fed up and face them also my other dog jess has learnt her lesson the hard way and gets on great now they all lie on the bed together it will all turn out fine in the end :D :D

Hello folks, any advice out there on how to train our puppy not to chase our cat? She's nearly 5 months and a whippet x standard poodle.

We've had her from 8 weeks old, and we've had the cat ( a two and a half year old maine coone cross) since the puppy was about 11 weeks old. The puppy successfully restrains herself in very limited conditions, ie. in the evening when she is tired, and when the cat is positioned somewhere where she stays put and doesn't retreat (i.e. a chair). In this situation, the puppy hassles the cat for a minute, then goes and sits down. If the cat runs, she chases! We usually try to grab her on the way past if we can, to stop her, but can't always get her in time.

We've mainly tried taking her downstairs (i.e. in isolation) if she goes mental and barks or won't leave the cat alone, and treating and praising her if she leaves the cat alone. We stopped being totally hard line about isolating her when she chased the cat, because we thought it might be best if she had an experience of the cat standing up for herself, and we thought they needed contact to get used to eachother. On the other hand, we keep them separate most of the time (with a dog gate keeping the puppy in the kitchen) because the cat needs a break! But it's getting quite frustrating and we'd love to hear from those of you who have said that your puppies soon learned not to chase your cats, how you did it?!?! :b

Thanks a lot for any stories of success/tips....thanks, Caroline and Keith
i had the same problem with jem,we have no cat's but 2 jack russells,she does not chase the old one ,but the younger one she kept taking her off her feet when ever she was running, :rant: i know it's bred in them but i found that a really loud sqweeky toy did the trick to distract her(she is 8 1/2 month's) indoor's and if she does it when we are out on a walk i found a tennis ball a good distraction, she still chases her down but can't bite as she forgets the ball is in her mouth! :blink: have you tried any distractions?

We have 2 lurchers & a Bedlington Terrier and we have 6 cats.

We had cats before we had any of the dogs so the cats have been part of the dogs lives from day 1

With each pup we have used an indoor crate to begin with so they can see the cats moving around but not be able to chase them. I also left a lightweight lead on the pups so I could halt the chase before it went too far.

My beddy will sometimes chase the cats if they dash through the room quickly but usually there are no problems :)

If distractions don't work maybe a quick squirt from a plant spray would interrupt your dog if she does chase.

Here are my Hebe & Squirrel the cat, they are really great friends & love a cuddle. Squirrel will wash Hebes face & ears :wub:

When Hebe was about 5 months old we went out for a couple of hours leaving her in her crate. When we came home & opened it Squirrel walked out too (w00t) he must have been hiding behind the dogs basket at the back. They have been friends ever since :))

Good luck with your dog & cat. I'm sure things will get better.

dogs_ferrets_006.jpg

We have 2 lurchers & a Bedlington Terrier and we have 6 cats.We had cats before we had any of the dogs so the cats have been part of the dogs lives from day 1

With each pup we have used an indoor crate to begin with so they can see the cats moving around but not be able to chase them. I also left a lightweight lead on the pups so I could halt the chase before it went too far.

My beddy will sometimes chase the cats if they dash through the room quickly but usually there are no problems :)

If distractions don't work maybe a quick squirt from a plant spray would interrupt your dog if she does chase.

Here are my Hebe & Squirrel the cat, they are really great friends & love a cuddle. Squirrel will wash Hebes face & ears :wub:

When Hebe was about 5 months old we went out for a couple of hours leaving her in her crate. When we came home & opened it Squirrel walked out too (w00t) he must have been hiding behind the dogs basket at the back. They have been friends ever since :))

Aww What a gorgeous picture :wub: That's what you call living in harmony :huggles:

Aww! that's so cute! :wub: Now are we going to get from here to there?! :p So it seems as though in a way we have to let our puppy get up close and personal with the cat even if we are afraid for our cat? Stella used to keep a sensible distance and just do a lot of play bows and panting, but now she smacks the cat with her front paw...and sticks her great hairy face into her :eek: the cat hisses and waves her foot at her but has not scratched her yet. We're worried she'll hurt the cat or stress her out...Poor puss!

Also sounds as though the plant spray might be a good idea for a bit of distraction/aversive action. We don't have any squeaky toys but maybe we should get one to try out...I guess squeak it when she looks as if she's getting fixated with the cat, and then treat her for coming away? Hmmmmmm will not give up on this one as it certainly seems possible...perhaps as suggested they will manage to iron things out in the long run. But might need a bit of help til then. Thanks a lot for advice all those who have posted. Any other tips welcomed :)

Hi!

I have two greyhounds, a 10 year old maine coon cat and a 13 week old maine coon kitten.

We have the adult cat first, then introduced the greyhounds and as others have said they learnt very quickly that cats are "sharp" and not to be messed with! ;) However we now have the issue of bringing in a small, scurrying, noisy furball of a kitten that thinks greyhounds are the best thing since sliced bread!

Unfortunatley it seems my lovely cat safe greyhound boy, isn't that kitten safe at the moment, so I've dug out the muzzles and a water pistol and am using it whenever the dogs look a bit too keen and, I hate to say it, on the kitten when he gets over amourous towards the greys...

It's going to take a bit of time and patience but after a week I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Good Luck - you'll get their!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
I have two greyhounds, a 10 year old maine coon cat and a 13 week old maine coon kitten.

We have the adult cat first, then introduced the greyhounds and as others have said they learnt very quickly that cats are "sharp" and not to be messed with! ;) However we now have the issue of bringing in a small, scurrying, noisy furball of a kitten that thinks greyhounds are the best thing since sliced bread!

Unfortunatley it seems my lovely cat safe greyhound boy, isn't that kitten safe at the moment, so I've dug out the muzzles and a water pistol and am using it whenever the dogs look a bit too keen and, I hate to say it, on the kitten when he gets over amourous towards the greys...

It's going to take a bit of time and patience but after a week I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Good Luck - you'll get their!
A water pistol eh? Dastardly...but could be just the thing ;) has a better range than the plant sprayer so I wouldn't even need to stir off the sofa.... We have been experimenting with letting the puppy out from behind the puppy gate a bit more....and it seems as though the cat doesn't actually mind being attacked/played with quite as much as she seems to when in the middle of it! She seems to 'invite' it sometimes! Although having said that she mostly takes up posiiton somewhere the puppy can't get her, and won't come out until the pup' s asleep, and then she verrrry stealthily creeps out and legs it upstairs! Anyway, may invest in a water pistol and give stella a quick squirt if she's going too mental or starts barking at earsplitting volume at the cat.

We have 2 lurchers & a Bedlington Terrier and we have 6 cats.We had cats before we had any of the dogs so the cats have been part of the dogs lives from day 1

What a lovely picture :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back