The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How would you discourage owning breed?

Mad Murphy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thinking of Northamptondogwalkers thread about Archie the Border collie.
How would you discourage someone from owning your breed or describe the downside of your dogs breed to someone?

For Murphy as a Stabij I would say ..
They dig so if you have a nice garden just wave it goodbye,
They hunt, so unless you can deal with rats and moles being handed to you or worse, getting eaten, dont bother.
They have a ton of energy so if you are not fond of walking give up now.
They love to swim so if you dont like wet dog just walk away.
They take a long time to grow up and a long time to train so if you want a quick fix this isn't the dog for you..

How would you talk someone out of owning your type of dog ? Or would you say its a breed anyone could get along with?

Well you explain the pro's and con's of the breed, the breed background and what they are wanting out of a dog. This is the process i used when giving away the puppies... you can also say no you cannot have him/her due to home conditions etc.

I was thinking of all those people who see you with your dog and say 'ohh hes great Id like one of those ' when you know their lifestyle isnt suited..
Yeah, i had an old couple come over and stroke olive when she was pregnant and i mentioned and they were really keen on having a puppy but Olive never ended up having 5 as it said on the ultrasound... but i don't think they would have had the best lifestyle for a puppy.

Good thread!

If they spot a deer or rabbit, forget recall, it won't work (in 9 out of 10)
If you ask them to sit, stand, down, stand, sit, they'll look at you as if you're stupid and wander off for a nap. And let's face it, they have a point;)
Don't assume they will throw themselves at you when you come home - they may just beat their tail a couple of times on the floor to say hi, then go back to sleep (unless it's teatime).
If they dig in the border at one end of the garden, the soil can end up at the other end.

I think my response would be to ask them to consider their current lifestyle and how much disruption they could take to it when getting a dog. The level of disruption will depend on the breed.

With a Whippet I tell people if you think dogs should not be on human furniture, forget them. If you want a guard dog, forget them. If you cant accept they will pinch any food the second your eyes leave it, forget them.

But in reality I dont think idiots will take on board what ever you tell them Years ago we had two lovely Border Collies, one family said they were interested in getting one, we, (my wife and I), quickly realised their life style would not be suitable and tried all ways to put them off. But they went ahead and got one, and as we expected it went into rescue at about six months old. Some breeds although brilliant in some homes are terrible in others.

Last edited:
@Biker John I understand what you mean about people not listening. I once met a woman in a book shop picking up a dog training book, I mentioned I thought it wasn't much good but that she could have my copy for free if she really wanted one.. She laughed and told me she had just bought a beagle puppy... 'I thought I had better get some idea of dog training because people tell me they are stubborn and difficult, but they are just soooo cute I had to have one'
As a person who had a rescue beagle at home I felt so sorry for her dog and so angry at her total ignorance.

@Biker John I understand what you mean about people not listening. I once met a woman in a book shop picking up a dog training book, I mentioned I thought it wasn't much good but that she could have my copy for free if she really wanted one.. She laughed and told me she had just bought a beagle puppy... 'I thought I had better get some idea of dog training because people tell me they are stubborn and difficult, but they are just soooo cute I had to have one'
As a person who had a rescue beagle at home I felt so sorry for her dog and so angry at her total ignorance.
My last dog was a Beagle, rescued from the streets of America and she was lovely.

I never think of dogs as being stubborn - just independent and wanting to think for themselves. You have to work really hard to make them think that they want to do what you want them to do. Generally, if I hear some one calling for their dog over and over and over again, looking into the distance in every direction, it's a beagle ;)

Independent minded and very tenacious! Once their mind is set on something they are not easily distracted, Also awesome problem solving skills so they keep you on your toes. It's taken a couple of weeks but Harri has now worked out how to open the stair barrier...

Severe selective deafness, can easily be trained but compliance is on their terms!

A friend of mine has a border collie. Her and her partner both work full time. They walk him morning and evening. I let him out once a day and another friend lets him out once a day also. We can't walk him because he is just too strong. He is a lovely dog but probably doesn't get enough exercise for a high energy breed.
They have a big garden and we play ball etc.

I do discover dogs with my breed so will always give the negatives to my breed before the positives. , I will tell them how wilful , noises and mouthy they can be, inform about coat care and energy levels, if you don’t want a dog that can and does think for himself. That can demand attention be very mouthy as pups, and be on alert at all times, then don’t get a PWD, on they plus, they make fabulous family pets that adore children and are devoted to their family, they are not a breed that runs off into the distance they always like to keep N eye on you and stay close....

People often ask about my working cocker. I say the clue is in 'working'. Although we don't do blood sports our cockers have always worked in that we give exercise in stimulating places and devise search and retrieve games for home and garden (both a wreck, yes.) I say if you don't give them a job, they will find one- destroying your sofa for instance.

I have an adult rescue Border Collie and I think they are a sensitive breed (even not counting ones that have come from rescue centres and had health/behavioural issues due to mistreatment) in general. Maybe not as 'bomb proof' as say an happy-go-lucky lab. I think as they are quite newish to the 'pet homes' (compared with other family favourites) most are still bred from working lines and they really are a breed that needs a job to do or some kind of mental stimulation as well as a good deal of physical exercise. I took Jess in as an emergency for a neighbour, but fell in love with her and she ended up staying! She's about middle aged and energetic enough for me! I wouldn't go out and buy a collie puppy!

I think if you're an inexperienced dog owner and still want a border collie you need to be prepared to be able to give them alot of time and interaction and you really need to be an all weather walker not one that only walks the dog on sunny days or at the weekend! I'm retired and live alone so we have all day together and I've bought books to understand how that little collie minds works! At the moment I'm reading 'Understanding the Working Mind' by Carol Price. As Jess has some sight issues I've decided to teach her tracking games for mental stimulation and I hide treats round the house and garden for her to follow the trial and find them all, she loves this game. She also has a giant blue gym ball she loves herding round the garden so she has a safe outlet for her instincts.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back