The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Howdy

Pedroverdi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

Joined the forum to get advice of tuck prevention as this year has been worse that previous years for our dogs. We have two border collies Luna and Moss. Luna is 9 and Moss is 5.

Looking forward to being part of the forum.

Peter

Hi and welcome.I actually just googled 'tuck prevention' incase that was a thing:D, even though I thought you must mean tick prevention!! Other than trying to avoid walks where you know they pick up ticks regularly, long grassy areas etc., I'm not sure how you can prevent them, others hopefully will come along with better advice I'm sure;)

Hi and welcome from me too.
I have never had any issues with ticks with any or our dogs, until we came across one tick on the latest pup and that was last winter! Now we inspect ours daily and since spring we've found few on mine after almost every walk when we've been on the fields or in forest...:mad:
I don't think there is much a way to prevent them if you take your dogs to walk into greener areas away from the pavements. I've given mine a 'tick drops' but it doesn't mean they would still not get any on them. I've found one so far that we missed from the inspection and it had died on the dog.
Yes....it has certainly been very 'ticky' year so far and there is still yet more to come.
Oh and to add...some while ago we tried tick collars on mine, but after few hours I took them off as the smell from them got into my nose, never mind what kind of effect it has for sensitive dog's noses! So they came off and I'm not experimenting with those any further. I'm very cuddling kind of dog owner and after reading the instructions on the collar packets..one should keep from handling them and the dogs to minimize the chemicals getting into one's hands....:rolleyes: Doh...not good!

Welcome:) I use the Seresto flea & tick collar, and find it very effective, though we still get the odd tick. I've not noticed any chemical smell, and don't think the risks from the chemicals are high - not as high as the risk of my dog getting seriously grumpy after having the 5th tick of the day removed!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back