The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Howligggggggg

havok

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have had our new greyhound a month now, and she is loverly and fitted in well with my lurcher and other greyhound. however she has started howling in the early morning since we had her spayed. has anyone out there ever had this problem and if so please say you have managed to cure it.

:cheers:

im sorry love ive never heard of this befor, i hope u get it sorted

It's a tricky one - new dogs are sometimes unsettled at night, but it sounds as though she was OK at first and then has started howling.

It's hard to guess what might be going on without a few more details.

How long has she been howling - is it just a few days or longer? What do you do when she howls - do you go to her or leave her? How long does she keep up the howling once it starts? Has she fully recovered from the spay - might she still be sore? Does she seem to need to wee in the night? How is she when you have to leave her during the day?

I guess general advice would be to try to get her as settled as possible at night. You could try leaving a night light on and perhaps a radio playing softly and see if that helps. She might also appreciate an old T-shirt or jumper that smells of you to cuddle up with.

A DAP diffuser would also be worth a try, and a few drops of Rescue Remedy in her water or on a bit of bread at night wouldn't hurt either.

oh the little darlin' whatever could it be????you say you've had her for a month where did you get her? is she rescue? is she missing someone/dog its very hard to say but i agree with feefee she needs lots of cuddles and reassurance good luck with her hope it sorts its self out :luck:

My Freddie does this. Always has! He didn't in foster, but then he was sleeping in the same room as his fosterers and had a dog flap he could use if he wanted. He can't manage my stairs here as they're really steep so he and Claire sleep downstairs. He's been "carolling" since I got him and nothing I've done has been able to break him of it! :blink: He's perfectly happy. Shares with Claire. I did think at first that he was afraid I'd never come downstairs again but surely after 4 years he must know that I will! :wacko: Naturally he sets the others off! Dad calls it the Early Morning Chorus! :lol: Luckily my neighbours are early risers and aren't bothered by it. :sweating: I lie in bed and try to distinguish the different voices! :lol:

The only thing I can think that would definitely work is to have her in with you. Freddie has never "carolled" when I've slept downstairs or with him anywhere. If you find something else that works please let me know! Although I think that after this length of time Freddie is incurable! o:)

Just a thought... as she's recently spayed since this started happening, is it possible she's been left with some incontinence issue? I just wonder because it may be that her bladder is really full come the early hours of the morning and that's why she's howling? It may well be that the muscles might be weak following surgery?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back