The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Humane training with a side of humor... ;--D

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've been hunting up "missing from the 'Net"  blog-posts by La Donaldson, one of my most-respected mentors - we've never met, but i think Jean is a marvel & a wonder, since she's a heckuva trainer but also a crackerjack science-translator for APOs & fellow trainers alike.
APOs are Average Pet-Owners, whose eyes tend to glaze if U foolishly try to explain CER / conditioned emotional response -- e-g, this dog goes rigid every time he's on the vet's exam table & can't be auscultated because he growls nonstop & must be muzzled or he'll bite - behaviorally, that's defensive aggro, but emotionally, that's fear;  reinforcement schedules -- ex, every compliant sit or only every STRAIGHT compliant sit? - the 1st is one-to-one, the 2nd is differential or contingent on criterion; & unconditioned response -- e-g, seeing humans eat makes dogs salivate.

God bless the noble mind that conceived & deployed the Wayback Machine - without it, many 'Net treasures would be gone forever. // The Web isn't a library with Dewey-decimal storage & hard copies, it's evanescent e-storage & can be altered on a whim, or simply deleted; a business goes bankrupt, & their website evaporates as if it never existed.  The Wayback Machine is snapshots of former web-pages as they were, at the time. It's 'Net history - as long as U have the former weblink, & there was a snapshot taken at some point, U can retrieve that missing page. Hurrah!

:D

While tracking down a wonderful blog-post that's vanished, i found another - & it featured another of my fave fellow-trainers, Leonard Cecil, who began as we all do as an APO, & became a trainer when he found himself with an 'untrainable' dog. Leonard started a collaborative PDF of trainers who use science-based training, explaining that they have zero interest in being "pack leaders" - just a fun thing.  The idea began with Nando Brown, another pos-R trainer, & Leonard's contribution was to collect them in a single place.
It had morphed from the trainers POV to their dogs'  "speaking up".

This is Jean's contribution -

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 10.11.50 AM.png

For the record, Jean loves Chows - not a breed known for compliance, co-operation, tact, or even bare tolerance. If a Chow-chow doesn't like what U are doing, no matter how necessary or pain-free it might be, the 1st inkling for unobservant persons could be teeth puncturing their skin.   :b   Oops. Chows have a very pointed way of expressing a negative opinion.
Chows are also not very communicative - which is why 9 out of 10 groomers hate Rough-coated Chows, as they're in a hurry & can't be arsed to notice that the dog just went still & tightened up, the Chow equivalent of screaming, "Look out! - I've had it, & i'm gonna BLOW MY TOP!..." 
giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back