The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting Update

Pennymeadow Whippets

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
1. Hunting Act "fatally weakened"

Yesterday the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) announced that he would not be challenging the High Court judgment of last month that rejected his appeal in Tony Wright's case. This means that the High Court's ruling on the definition of the offence of hunting and the burden of evidence in exempt hunting cases will stand as a legal precedent.

The court ruled that to commit the offence of 'hunting' a person must be in pursuit of an identifiable mammal by sight, or possibly by scent. It also confirmed that "hunting is by definition intentional", and that "any prosecution would have to prove to the criminal standard what the defendant's intention was". Hunting, in terms of the Act, is therefore defined as the intentional pursuit of an identifiable mammal.

For those engaged in exempt hunting, the High Court ruled that there is an 'evidential burden' which means that defendants will have to state which exemption they were using and how they were fulfilling its conditions. After that it is for the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant had not fulfilled the conditions of the exemption.

The judgment will make it less likely that hunts will face vindictive prosecutions based on allegations by animal rights activists. There have only been three successful prosecutions against hunts since the Act came into force and this judgment will make prosecutions even less likely.

The High Court may have ruled that "the ban (on hunting) is no means absolute", but it is considerable. However much the Act has been damaged by this judgment it is still the law and as such an insult to liberty and good governance. The High Court's ruling, and the decision of the DPP to accept it, is another reason to get rid of the Act, not an excuse for ignoring it. As I have said before, for those readers whose interest is in shooting, fishing or broader rural activity, repeal is as important as for those who hunt. It removes from the Statute Book a piece of legislation that was passed for reasons of political expedience and without the justification or either evidence or principle.

The London Evening Standard, not a renowned supporter of hunting, reported the DPP decision and added an editorial, 'The hunt goes on', that is well worth repeating here (its only error is to say that there are 18 cases pending against hunts - there are just four):

Five years after the divisive hunting bill was passed, the legislation increasingly looks like a waste of time. As we report today, the Crown Prosecution Service, the CPS, will not be challenging a recent court judgement that established that the burden of proof on whether a hunt is acting illegally lies squarely with the prosecution. It also reinforced the principle that it is perfectly legal to stalk or flush out foxes or other mammals using dogs in order for them then to be shot. At the time the CPS argued that such a ruling would make the act "wholly unworkable". Indeed, 18 cases pending against hunts must now be reconsidered.

The ruling bears out the reality that hunting still flourishes. It is however questionable whether its intended effect, to ensure that foxes are shot rather than killed by dogs, has advanced animal welfare. Rather, it seems clear that it was a waste of political energy which served only to alienate rural communities. David Cameron, the Tory leader, cannot be seen actually to support hunting but he can certainly allow a free vote to repeal the Act if he wins the election. And that is what he should do.

Simon Hart

Chief Executive

All very good, but what about coursing? Its easy for an organised fox hunt to claim they are following a trail, but the re-introduction of competitive coursing is not so easy, and is the 'forgotten fieldsport' as far as the CA are concerned. Fox huntins alright jack, and sod the rest seems to be their veiw. And now they have recruited a leading LACS bigwig onto their comittee, i fear coursing will be well and truly sold down the river. Shame on the CA.

The Coursing Clubs are working with the CA & have members on the CA committee.

Footnote Just spoke to Arron Atmore Sally Merison who is Chairman of the National Coursing Club is also a boardmember of the CA Also Sir Philip Naylor Leyland who is president of the National Coursing Club also a member Sir Mark Prescot is another of both & each reginan of the CA has a coursing rep & Arron Atmore is the North East rep The CA is the only organisation that has fought for coursing & is still doing so the way the hunting act is writen its far more complex to organise a legal coursing meeting as coursing is the only fieldsport named within the act during the debate prior to the hunting act coming in to force it was roumoured that coursing was offered as a sacrificial lamb & the CA refused it flatly The CA got all the Hunting organisation to sign a pact to support each individual sport so none could be singled out & all would stand together the concept of recruting an ex LACS employee who after extensively studding th truth & facts is now an ardant supporter of Hunting & Coursing this is a massive publicity coup which highlights that when the fact are considered ALL hunting & Coursing comes out favourably against the ANTI's lies & propaganda as for shame on the CA it should be shame on anyone who does not support the CA & all the fighting it is doing on your behalf everybody who loves coursing should be assisting the CA in any way they can to help them bring back coursing as soon as possible i wonder what all the non CA members are doing to bring back Hunting/Coursing THE ANSWER WILL BE NOTHING.

The above is an interesting display of drum banging by the brain washed. I am yet to be convinced by such rhetoric -_-

Arron Atmore asked what are you doing to bring back Hunting/Coursing THE ANSWER WILL BE NOTHING. -_- -_-

Um.... You clearly hold Mr Atmore in a huge amount of awe and am sure said gentleman is working ceaselessly to overturn Hunting Act. My view is that unless and until a change of government and a free vote on the floor of the House of Commons occurs then and only then can we expect a return to the pre ban status quo. It is all well and good banging on about the inadequacies of the Act, we all know those but the time to really make the point is during the time leading up to a free vote. That is when it will really matter.

Please keep to the debate - no childishness please! :clown:

So back to the debate you once coursed with the Greatest Whippet Coursing Club walked the walk went to London like Dick Whittington all while being a CA member & then slate them on the world wide web Jesus once had a friend like that & he was called Judas Iscariot he also claimed to do nothing.

do you not support the CA then lampy,if not,you must have a valid reason not to as at one time you must of been as you used to run under rules and regs.wether anybody believes in the CA or not they are the only people fighting the good cause,to overturn this stupid ban,surely you must agree with that as you are a lover of hare coursing,unless your views have changed.regards darren

I just love that song, not sure Paul McCartney would like it to be associated with hunting :ermm:

Hare Coursing is not hunting, it is something totally different, how come it comes under the Hunting Act? Or am I being thick. At least people are beginning to realise what a ridiculous act it is, just like the Dangerous Dogs act. I see Pit Bulls without muzzles, one goes where I walk, the owner told me not to let my dogs near it. It is leashed and my dogs give it a wide berth, but it should be muzzled in a public place. As I don't know where the chap lives, not a lot I can do.

:oops: Off topic. :)

I just love that song, not sure Paul McCartney would like it to be associated with hunting :ermm:

Hare Coursing is not hunting, it is something totally different, how come it comes under the Hunting Act? Or am I being thick. At least people are beginning to realise what a ridiculous act it is, just like the Dangerous Dogs act. I see Pit Bulls without muzzles, one goes where I walk, the owner told me not to let my dogs near it. It is leashed and my dogs give it a wide berth, but it should be muzzled in a public place. As I don't know where the chap lives, not a lot I can do.

:oops: Off topic. :)
Paul McCartney :lol: :lol: :lol: Coursing is under the hunting act due to our ever unpopular government its a good job Gordon Brown can't sing :lol: :lol:

The thought of Gordy singing, enough to make you puke!!!!!!!!!!!

Fighting For Repeal & for The Countryside

Within the next 15 months there will be a general election that will be critical to the future of hunting,the countryside,country pursuits & the rural way of life.

We could be on the verge of real & lasting change in the way the governments deal with the countryside. Furthermore,weare the ONLY organisation campaining for repeal of the hunting act. Repeal would be a great victory in its self,but it would also protect all other country pursuits for a generation & open the way for policies that address the real needs of rural communities.

It has neverbeen more important that the Countryside Alliance has the ability to influance public political & media opinions.

This is why the Alliance is preparing the Rural Manifesto that will call on the next Government to:

. Repeal the Hunting Act & champion country pursuits.

. Support British farmers & producers.

. Enable all children to gain a practical understanding of the countryside.

. Ensure an accessible & reliable rural transport network.

. Promote local solutions to the lack of affordable rural housing.

Please join our other supporters in helping us achieve the objectives of our Rural Manifesto.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back