The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hyperactive Iggies

janfiers

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Has anyone out there got any ideas about how to keep weight on a very hyperactive Iggy, by the name of Charlie. He is very much into his teenage time, having turned one year old in December.

I've tried everything I can think of from changing diets, adding supplements. worming him very very regularly, taken him to the vets for a check up and she just says he is so fit it is unbelievable. I've even taken the step of monitoring his activities through the night when he is supposed to be sleeping, but he isn't, just playing and playing and playing!

He is a little better recently as I have allowed him to come and sleep in my bedroom in the lushest of quilts, but not enough to make that much difference. The trouble is you can literally see him put weight on and just as easily watch it disappear. He was fine until he was about 9 months old. :wacko: Since then I have been fighting a losing battle.

It has been suggested to me that I cage him up during the day to stop him being so active, but that it so alien to me and it would be to him too, I think I'd rather stop showing him, than him be unhappy.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

My little whippet Feather is very active, very skinny but very healthy. She's 20 months old now & just these last say, 3 months has put on a bit of weight. She used to weigh 8.9 kgs & has now gone up to about 9.3kgs. I used to worry alot about her but she's so well in herself I just decided that's the way she is. I did have some success giving her Nutrigel & feeding fatty meats such as chicken & lamb. I hope to show her at some stage & will try to fatten her up a bit before hand but otherwise I've stopped worrying about it. A friend recommended I confine her to stop her running about but I think it's cruel, that's her nature. I wish I was like that.

Linda

Unfortunately the line of IGs yours descends from are very very active as I can relate to with 2 six month old puppies galloping around the house at every oppurtunity and bouncing off the walls. I found that when I feed AMP raw meat the weight piled on mine. I fed meat and tripe mix with a biscuit (Arden Grange) but I have had to swop back to cooked chicken with the Arden Grange. As he matures he will calm down(a little bit) and you will be able to keep the weight on.

So long as he is digesting his food properly then only time will resolve the weight problem. Good Luck

I totally agree that to confine him to barracks would be cruel and it would make him totally miserable and even less likely to keep any weight on. I'll just have to keep stoking him up on everything fatty that I can. It's a pity I can't get my hands on a fresh green tripe any longer as that used to do the trick. But since they knocked down the abbatoir and all the new EC rules and regulations they have become virtually impossible to get hold of. Mind you I don't miss the pong!!!!

Thanks for your contributions and if anyone else has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks Jan

janfiers said:
It's a pity I can't get my hands on a fresh green tripe any longer as that used to do the trick.  But since they knocked down the abbatoir and all the new EC rules and regulations they have become virtually impossible to get hold of.  Mind you I don't miss the pong!!!!
There are three dog food companies still licensed to sell raw dog food, AMP and Forthglade being two of them (can't remember the third). AMP do a delivery service and I have found that their 'standard' tripe boxed in 40 x 1lb packets is the nearest thing you will get to green tripe now.

Prize choice is the other one :) their web site is www.prizechoice.co.uk

hope this helps

Hannah

Prizechoice is owned by AMP and if you get your food from Berriewood, they will also be all right because AMP supply them as well!!!

:thumbsup: Thanks for all your replies, I will get in touch and see if it sorts out the problem. As you will know Charlie was at Crufts. I had fed him to bursting point the day before and made him be quiet, although he wasn't confined to a cage. Still took 5 chicken baps, not small ones either, and half a packet of crisps to make him passable for going in the ring.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back