The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I’ve come for advice about my sick dog.

Andrew_m

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, my names andrew and I have a very poorly dog.

He started vomiting last Tuesday only once or twice a day and we thought he just had a bug, we took him the vet and they found he had a growth on his pancreas and restocked suspected cancer. We’ve since had the biopsy and it’s come back as benign. My problem is he can’t keep food down, he is trying to eat but keeps bringing it back up. The vet thinks he will struggle through the surgery and could possibly die during it. My mum thinks we should let him go but I think we should have a go at the surgery and give him a chance because either way he’s gonna die but at least with the surgery he has a chance. I don’t think he wants to go because he is trying to eat and get about but because he can’t keep food down he’s weak. I just want some people’s advice or some kind words. It’s especially hard for me because I’m in the military and have been away since before he got sick so feel absolutely helpless. Thank you.

Attachments

• DC15CAA6-372A-472B-8BFC-06814A3C488B.jpeg
    DC15CAA6-372A-472B-8BFC-06814A3C488B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
So sorry to hear this, awful seeing them poorly . Did the vet suggest putting him on an intravenous drip to get fluids down him so he doesn’t get dehydrated ? This would stop him getting too weak. How old is he? Never easy putting them through surgery if he’s not a young dog as it often takes it’s toll on them. Really feel for you as it’s a difficult situation but you have to make sure the quality of life is good for your dog whatever you decide .He looks a beautiful boy

He is getting up and about so he’s not completely weak and he’s taking fluids on but he’s struggling with solid foods. The vet is giving him a low chance of surviving surgery, I’m just battling with myself about what’s best for him but he’s putting up a fight so I don’t think he wants to go which makes me want to try the surgery. He’s 11 but was pretty active until the vomiting started. The vet said the tumour could be pushing on his stomach causing the vomiting and incontinence. If he wasn’t trying to eat and just staying still I would definitely have him humanely euthanised but he is so I’m struggling massively. I see it like this if that was me and I had a chance I want to take it so I think what we do for a human we should do for a pet because they would do anything for us. He’s beautiful thank you

If he survived surgery, what would his recovery period be like? That might decide me - if there is a chance he'd be up, eating well, and happy soon after surgery then in a way, you have nothing to lose. But if recovery would be difficult and he might just suffer for a few more weeks before you were forced to put him down, then maybe surgery wouldn't be worth the risk.

It's a horrible decision to have to make :-(

The reality is, we don’t know. He was fine a week ago so I don’t see any downside to having the surgery if he has a chance of recovery. I’m fighting a moral battle with myself, it’s horre

Is he any better with his eating today and does he seem ok in himself ? If you feel there’s a chance he will get through the surgery ok ( vets are sometimes wrong ) then you can only try and give him the chance , guess the vet will know more when he’s in surgery . So hard to know what to do for the best .

How old is he? I wouldn't put an old dog through this with no guarantee of a long healthy future.

Hi, totally feel for you, how is he doing? It has to be a personal decision because you know your dog and we don't.. but if you feel he has nothing to lose but possibly everything to gain then maybe surgery is an option, but always consider the recovery process.. Really hope things are well..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back