The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I have a leaky Springer ...

Mayblossom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just been away in the caravan, as we do most months ,and Molly our Springer started leaking small amounts of urine, spent a few pounds washing and drying all the towels and bedding, not huge amounts of dribbles but enough. She seemed fine before we went away, drinking a little more than normal but not excessive, no trouble weeing ..just normal amounts. Always cleaning her lady bits as she’s very fastidious so didn’t think anything different when she was doing it . She’s nearly nine and spayed so this could well be something to do with it :emoji_confused: took her to the vets nearby who checked her out and put her on anti b’s for a week and if no improvement go to our own vets for a few tests. Hoping we can sort her out. She keeps trying to lick clean the areas she’s dribbled on and this may well cause an infection so hence the anti b’s for that too. It really upsets her when she does it so we don’t say anything , just clean her up and put fresh towels down. Anyone else have any experience of this ?

I haven't experienced this with my own dogs but when we would get dogs in at work with leaking bladders we would do bloods and urinalysis to determine the problem. We would normally use antibiotics but if this hasn't solved it then me do ask for owners to bring the dogs back and we would do ultrasounds.

I have only had boys so no direct experience. However I have read about spayed bitches who lose control a little of their urinary sphincter, which is a sort of watertight valve that controls the bladder, so they are unable to completely control the retention of urine and leak just little bits (as opposed to fully emptying their bladder). It can be (but is not necessarily) hormone related - there are medications that can help, which one is used depends on whether it is hormone related or not.

Visit your own vet when you get home, this sometimes happens to spayed bitches, it can be controlled.

Thanks guys, very encouraged by your replies, off to pick up a urine test kit tomorrow ! Vet on hols did think it was spay related so fingers crossed that’s all it is. Will get bloods done too . Vet mentioned propalin which I’m guessing is a different brand name for urilin? She’s absolutely normal in everything else but I do feel for her as she seems mortified when she’s wet herself , bless her. Washing her back end with a nice gentle dog shampoo to make her feel better :rolleyes:

Propalin does the same as urilin ...let us know how you get on

Propalin helps strengthen the sphincter.

We had an old lady who was spayed at around 7-8 years of age, she later suffered from uncontrolled weeing events, sometimes small spots (on us or chairs,) other times big wee's, "Propalin" helped resolve her problem !

Sounding familiar :D think I’ll ask the vet for two lots :D:D

Oh the joys of trying to get a wee sample :( Molly normally quite free with her wees...except today when I need to get a sample to the vets before 5pm ...really don’t want to wait til tomorrow but what can you do :confused:

Well the vet gave us a special scoop with the sample bottle attached and when hubby came home I walked Molly on the grass verge while he dived underneath ...must have looked quite comical :D:D took it to the vet ( still warm ;)) they rang later saying nothing sinister showing, so incontinence is the logical diagnosis . Back to vets with Molls tomorrow night to discuss treatment .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back