The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I Know It Was A Greyhound But...hey!!

BAZ1191

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know it was a Greyhound and it was only over 2 furlongs but i think its cool as :oops: !!!

0 - 40 faster acceleration that a Ferarri!!! :D

[SIZE=14pt]Greyhound streaks ahead of racehorse [/SIZE]

Dog clinches debate on fastest racing animal

Vivek Chaudhary, chief sports correspondent

Thursday June 3, 2004

The Guardian

In the end it was the nimble, canine legs of Simply Fabulous outpacing the sturdy, equine legs of Tiny Tim which helped settle one of the most heated debates within the racing fraternity.

Racehorse or greyhound, which is the fastest? For anyone looking for a sporting upset then Kempton Park racetrack was the place to be yesterday evening as the greyhound Simply Fabulous upset the odds and breezed past the winning post in 23.29 seconds, leaving the racehorse Tiny Tim behind by seven lengths.

It was not only bookmakers' odds that were stacked against Simply Fabulous, who started the race at 6-5 while his competitor was 13-8 on to win.

The greyhound stood at 76cm (30in), and weighed in at 30kg (66lb), with an inside leg measurement of 50cm. His equine competitor weighed in at 412kg (908lb), stood 1.5 metres, and had an inside leg measurement of a metre.

And while Tiny Tim had managed to be placed in the top three in eight of the last 10 races he had competed in, Simply Fabulous was reported to have not raced competitively since November 2002.

It was billed as a David versus Goliath contest - over two furlongs - designed to establish whether racing horses were quicker than racing dogs, a favourite topic of discussion among punters.

Simply Fabulous did not let his canine brethren down.

His owner, David Hood, who also works for the bookmakers William Hill, the organisers of yesterday's event, claimed that the success of Simply Fabulous may have been down to his favourite meal. "I fed him bangers and mash in the morning - he loves them. I'm a bit shocked because I wasn't expecting Simply Fabulous to win. But greyhounds are terrific athletes, they can accelerate from 0 to 40mph in one second. There's no other animal that can compete with them, and this shows that over a certain distance they can beat the best racehorses."

:p

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back