The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ideal Weight

ferret23

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
On a post on the message board I read a formula a few weeks ago which explained how to work out what a whippets ideal weight should roughly be. Can anyone remember how to do this?

There really is NO idea weight for a whippet - its idea weight is what it races best at - assuming it's a racer that is.

Or were you refering to the mystical method of gauging your dog's ADULT weight while still a puppy? If so I have heard variations on a them for this, but it goes something like at 8 weeks multiply its weight by 3 and take away the number you first thought of!

Someone else can post the correct version :cheers:

I have always doubled the weight at 12 weeks, add or minus a pound - you will be about right (it's worked for all my dogs). But Ian is correct, the dogs ideal weight it what it runs best at.

When I first came into racing I had show dogs, and was horrified at some of the racing dogs with their pin bones showing! We raced one of ours at 22lbs. When we "got used" to seeing a skinny whippet, and realised that they are healthier, and fitter without extra fat, she raced at 19-20lbs.

I have seen whippets that I think are much too heavy, winning races - so really you have to get to know your dog, and keep them to the weight they are best and most happy at.

I agree with Ian - the correct racing weight is whatever the dog runs best at. There's no formula to work that out.

As for the adult weight guessing game this has pretty much worked to get a ball park figure for us, for dog pups, (not so sure about bitches as we have always kept dogs) :-

At 12 weeks - double the weight and add one for dogs (I think take one for bitches)

OR

Double the weight at 13 weeks. Again, don't know about bitches

Its really only a rough estimate but sems to work to give an idea of wether its going to be a light, middle or heavy weight. It seems to work a lot of the time but is obviously far from infallible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back